VOGONS

First post, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a Tyan Titan Turbo ATX (S1572) Socket 7 board for a Pentium 233 MMX build, but unfortunately it came without the ATX I/O shield. The layout of that particular shield is rather uncommon but it happens to be in the picture I found on Wikipedia (see the attached image where I framed the shield I need).
Acquiring such a shield from eBay seems an impossible thing to do, there are literally thousands of variants for sale but most of them for boards far more recent than mine.

Does anyone know a good source, maybe a particular eBay seller or other stores that may have something like this in stock?

io_shields.jpg
Filename
io_shields.jpg
File size
216.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Cheers!

p.s.: If one of you guys happens to have that thing and would be willing to give it away, PM me 😀

My retro computers

Reply 1 of 8, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm surprised no company has jumped into the aftermarket replacement ATX shield business yet. It would require an up-front investment, but a lot of people are looking for those things, so the market for this could be quite big.

Good luck with your search.

Reply 2 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a bag with about 50 different shields in it. And no less than four systems ranging between 15 and 5 years old with no fitting shield 😦

My partner occasionally mumbles about her wanting to buy a 3D printer. Mostly I'm underwhelmed by what they can do and the economics of it - but if we get one I am so printing I/O shields with it.

Reply 4 of 8, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

That metal is so thin it can be cut with nail scissors. Consider buying a blank and making your own holes.

Which of course leads to the question: where could one source blank ATX I/O shields? 😀

They don't appear to be that common either. Occasionally, they pop up on eBay.

Also, if you happen to have a 3D printer, or know someone (or a company) that can 3D-print one for you, you can find a design for it on Thingiverse here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2219188

Of course, you would have to wrap aluminum foil over it or something, since it would be printed with plastic. Unless you can find a way to directly print one in metal. But that might prove so costly, that perhaps it would be better to crowdfund a campaign or start a project here on Vogons to have a sizeable number of them manufactured in China or something. 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SuperMicro makes/sells blank I/O shields.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=0Z … blank+io+shield

Or you can get blank ones from China for even cheaper... $2 for 2 of them with free shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-I-O-Shield-No-A … Y-/142654561144

Another listing for $1.90 for 2 of them with free shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-I-O-Shield-No-A … IY/142889002781

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digger wrote:

I'm surprised no company has jumped into the aftermarket replacement ATX shield business yet. It would require an up-front investment, but a lot of people are looking for those things, so the market for this could be quite big.

I think the biggest problem would be getting accurate specs for all the motherboard models out there.

Reply 8 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:
digger wrote:

I think the biggest problem would be getting accurate specs for all the motherboard models out there.

The other problem is that there would be very low demand for each different I/O layout.

From the business side, it would not be worth it to even bother making the shields.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK