VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a 20GB IDE hard drive and in the bios the primary master is set to auto and at the post it would take a long time to detect it so I used HDAT2 from Hirens boot cd and deleted the HPA and now it finds it very fast can someone tell me why this would work. I then did a check for bad clusters and it came up with none so
im glad there but when I ran the "most powerful test" I get a bunch of errors within the first 13MB I quit this test because it kept beeping a lot, the errors are "memory buffers are different" is this something to be wary of and is there a way to fix this if its bad news for the hard drive. In the first picture below there is "!EDD: NOT_SUPPORTED" I have not seen this before is this what is causing the errors? Lastly the SMART is at Warning and I looked at the smart logs but I could not make heads or tales of it as I dont know enough about this should I throw this hard drive away or should it be safe to use it?

20180814_230610_zpsaaitpwld.jpg

20180814_230729_zpsmpqdkyqy.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my experience, once you start getting SMART warnings, drive failure isn't too far in the future. If it's still readable for now and you have useful files on that unit, get them off now. Then, download and run Western Digital's own diagnostic tools; the full destructive write test that evaluates every block it intends to use. If it passes, you may yet get some life out of the unit, but don't store your only copy of valuable data on it. If that fails, drop it off at the recycling centre; it likely isn't worth the trouble.

If you happen to have a copy of SpinRite, you may want to give that a try also.

Reply 2 of 2, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would full erase with MHDD and then check back the surface for errors.
You may try AFUA_WD (Format Calibrator)
www.hddoracle.com/download/file.php?id=306
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t … hilit=afua#p826
that performs an internal format.