VOGONS

Lets make new M919 Cache sticks?

Topic actions

Reply 82 of 115, by crazytiti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before the pandemic i have checked that if you built 10 of them it will be ~50-60 $ each.
Maybe the price have rise since...
I'm sure some peoples out there wants cache stick too but don't know this topic/site

Reply 83 of 115, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am a proud new owner of a vendor sealed fingerprint free M919 motherboard, complete with the fake cache chips on board.

The board It came with a 256KB async stick, but I'd be interested in a 1024KB async stick if they are available.

I'm assuming that the Pipe Burst SDRAM cache sticks were never delivered by the vendor. Is that true?

Reply 85 of 115, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2023-02-22, 20:22:

I don't think the chipset supports PB srams, but ofc I might be completely mistaken.

So what I hear you saying that the company that soldered fake SDRAM cache chips on a motherboard may have also falsely promised to build PB-SDRAM cache modules for a chipset that could not support a PB-SDRAM cache ?

Hmm.

I guess that checks out.

Reply 86 of 115, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The two (128-pin) chips that are onboard on some of these boards look like SDRAM, have "write back" written on top but are neither SDRAMS nor write back, but plastic dummies.

All existing cache sticks for the M919 have _SRAM_ chips, so there´s no synchronous operation possible and there is probably no Pipeline Burst mode that would need a DRAM controller (as far as I remember...).

It´s all fake to the core.

Reply 87 of 115, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 1MB cache stick works great, even with the fastest timings at 40 Mhz.

Doom changes from 1276 realtics to 1239 with the larger stick, so there is a measurable, but not exactly noticeable improvement over 256KB.

Quake changes from 16.8 to 17.8 FPS. That's noticeable, and a 6% increase is about the best I could expect, yes?

Reply 88 of 115, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2023-02-27, 00:49:

The 1MB cache stick works great, even with the fastest timings at 40 Mhz.

Doom changes from 1276 realtics to 1239 with the larger stick, so there is a measurable, but not exactly noticeable improvement over 256KB.

Quake changes from 16.8 to 17.8 FPS. That's noticeable, and a 6% increase is about the best I could expect, yes?

5-10% on heavier applications is normal. The less memory intensive the task is, the less difference you'll see between 256K and 1M.

Reply 89 of 115, by Efflixi86Box

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are any of these available again for purchase? I need just one. It can even be the 256KB variant. I've been a lurker here on the site for ages, but I recently bought an M919 board without knowing (of course) that the cache was fake OR that the slot was proprietary. Hoping to find a cache module here! Mine at least is the newer revision without the fake plastic chips.

Reply 90 of 115, by crazytiti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, to my knowledge there isn't available anymore.
But Pancakepuppy have made the design freely available.
It take 6-8 pieces to be reasonably priced.
You should count yourself (already 4 on this page), if there is enough people i can order all the material and PCB to make these.
Be aware it could take two or three months to be ready.

Reply 91 of 115, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Efflixi86Box wrote on 2023-08-01, 10:57:

Are any of these available again for purchase? I need just one. It can even be the 256KB variant. I've been a lurker here on the site for ages, but I recently bought an M919 board without knowing (of course) that the cache was fake OR that the slot was proprietary. Hoping to find a cache module here! Mine at least is the newer revision without the fake plastic chips.

You might not need one really, see... 486 board with UMC 8881E/8886B: The winner is: EDO without L2 (if your only other option is L2 at 3-2-2-2)&

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 92 of 115, by Efflixi86Box

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-08-01, 14:20:
Efflixi86Box wrote on 2023-08-01, 10:57:

You might not need one really, see... 486 board with UMC 8881E/8886B: The winner is: EDO without L2 (if your only other option is L2 at 3-2-2-2)&

Those guys are doing huge amounts of changes to their boards. I have no tools anymore or the time to do so despite having the skill. (I used to work on micro-electronics like audio amps and circuits) I'd like the board to be as capable as possible without a lot of hard tinkering. I don't mind changing around BIOS settings as needed but my intention is to be able to swap out CF based drives on this board to run various early/mid 90's OS's and games and compare directly against the 86Box emulator project that I'm part of to get tons of hard data about accuracy.

I don't mind funding someone to get a stack of cache modules made. I just can't make them myself currently. In fact, ideally, what I'd like to end up with is a couple modules of various sizes for the M919 and various sizes in the "normal" COAST format as well so I can test those in other 486 boards.

Reply 93 of 115, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
crazytiti wrote on 2023-08-01, 11:59:
Hello, to my knowledge there isn't available anymore. But Pancakepuppy have made the design freely available. It take 6-8 pieces […]
Show full quote

You should count yourself (already 4 on this page), if there is enough people i can order all the material and PCB to make these.

I did another run of them and have been directly messaging people who ask about them. I have a few of the 1MB 3.3V modules at hand. I'll edit this post when they're gone to say so.
Thanks everyone 😀

Reply 95 of 115, by Efflixi86Box

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pancakepuppy wrote on 2023-08-02, 23:41:
Hello, to my knowledge there isn't available anymore. But Pancakepuppy have made the design freely available. It take 6-8 pieces […]
Show full quote

I did another run of them and have been directly messaging people who ask about them. I have a few of the 1MB 3.3V modules at hand. I'll edit this post when they're gone to say so.
Thanks everyone 😀

Thank you so much! They arrived and the 1MB module is proving to add as much as 30% performance to the AMD 5x86 133!

Reply 99 of 115, by waynewong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pancakepuppy wrote on 2023-08-02, 23:41:
Show full quote

Thanks everyone 😀

Dear Pancakepuppy, do you have any 1MB or 256KB cache modules for sale?