First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And this opens up a whole new world of possibilities:

https://www.delock.com/produkt/89276/merkmale.html

What do you think?

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 2 of 21, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:

sold out
i need agp card to pci slot
does that even exist?

You should contact this guy who self-made it, it seems to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8sYzOmoPoY

Reply 3 of 21, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

not particularly useful. You will regularly run into at least one of 3 problems.

The first problem is that whatever PCIe card you want to use will be pointless due to the severe lack of bandwidth (GPU, USB3, storage controllers, 10Gb Ethernet, etc)
The second problem is it outright won't work (best case) or even break your motherboard (worst case) due to lack of power delivery since PCIe is specified to provide 75W of power. A bit too much for the poor PCI slot.
The Last problem is that you likely want to use it retrofit modern hardware on older systems and there is a good chance that drivers won't be available.

I'm sure there are niche applications for these adapters, but for most mainstream uses this adapter is of rather questionable use.

Reply 4 of 21, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Koltoroc wrote:
not particularly useful. You will regularly run into at least one of 3 problems. […]
Show full quote

not particularly useful. You will regularly run into at least one of 3 problems.

The first problem is that whatever PCIe card you want to use will be pointless due to the severe lack of bandwidth (GPU, USB3, storage controllers, 10Gb Ethernet, etc)
The second problem is it outright won't work (best case) or even break your motherboard (worst case) due to lack of power delivery since PCIe is specified to provide 75W of power. A bit too much for the poor PCI slot.
The Last problem is that you likely want to use it retrofit modern hardware on older systems and there is a good chance that drivers won't be available.

I'm sure there are niche applications for these adapters, but for most mainstream uses this adapter is of rather questionable use.

Good points!

What about AGP cards into PCI slots via adapter showed in the youtube video above?

Reply 5 of 21, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

same issues minus the driver issues. However, It does make more sense since AGP is pretty much jsut a heavily modified PCI slot and there are some cards (mostly voodoos of every flavor) that don't even use most AGP features and are not particularly bandwidth starved. Also, most AGP to PCI converters I have seen are powered.

Reply 6 of 21, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

great, thanks! I love these past-future blends! Being modern solid state memories in old systems my favorite!
Dream objective in the field: learn electronics and be able to build a custom adapter to add between the 486 CPU and the socket, with control electronics and a large flat cable to add the VLB extension connection to any of the standard ISA slots to be able to install VLB video cards / controllers in non-VLB 486 systems!

Reply 7 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a couple of those PCI to PCI-E adapters. Got them off of eBay for cheap before they apparently stopped making them. You can still get Startech ones, but they are always priced around $45+ each.

1. The bridge chip is the same exact bridge chip that the card mfgs use in their native PCI-E cards to make them into PCI cards.
2. The bridge chip is a 2-way converter.. Meaning, it is the same chip used in the PCI-E to PCI adapters.
3. They are only x1 PCI-E. No way around that
4. In order to use them for anything that requires more power than PCI can deliver, you need a PCI-E extension cable that has a power plug to get power from the PSU.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 21, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the only AGP to PCI adapter was made from that guy on a youtube video?
there was no commercial product ever made?

The reason im asking is because i have a voodoo5 that is AGP 2x only.

So that leaves me to some basic options:
- find an agp 2x motherboard (pentium2 )
- find a pentium3 with universal agp slot like most of the ones that supported tualatin)
- find one of those AMD Athlon XP motherboards with Universal AGP slot.

but thats is as far as i can go. i cannot go to core2duo because all motherboards are agp 8x or PCI-E, nor later technology.

with an AGP to PCI adapter i could use the card on a core i5 for example.

Reply 10 of 21, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

unfortunately, I believe that guy is your only viable solution without replacing the system.

All the best!

Reply 11 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was an ago to pci adapter that was comnercially made. The only problem is that it was made for specific video cards and basically dint work with other cards from what people said back in the day about it.

As far as athlon do boards, anything with a chipset before kt266 should work. Some kt266 boards should work, but it depends on the board.

The other thing you can do besides using an ago 2x board is to either modify the board to output the correct agp voltage for older agp cards. You could also modify an agp riser card and directly supply the needed voltage through that.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 21, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

There was an ago to pci adapter that was comnercially made. The only problem is that it was made for specific video cards and basically dint work with other cards from what people said back in the day about it.

As far as athlon do boards, anything with a chipset before kt266 should work. Some kt266 boards should work, but it depends on the board.

The other thing you can do besides using an ago 2x board is to either modify the board to output the correct agp voltage for older agp cards. You could also modify an agp riser card and directly supply the needed voltage through that.

hey thats a great idea, i just saw a lot of 10 risers agp8x on aliexpress
https://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/AGP-8 … 2702103911.html

so you think that could work? connect it to an agp 8x slot, modify the voltage pins and provide current externally only and thats all? or some other pins need to be modified as well?
whith that i cound even reach a core2duo, or a fast pentium 4 motherboard. Since thats about time AGP started to dissapear.

Reply 13 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cga.8086 wrote:
hey thats a great idea, i just saw a lot of 10 risers agp8x on aliexpress https://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/AGP-8 … 270210 […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

so you think that could work? connect it to an agp 8x slot, modify the voltage pins and provide current externally only and thats all? or some other pins need to be modified as well?
whith that i cound even reach a core2duo, or a fast pentium 4 motherboard. Since thats about time AGP started to dissapear.

See here.. and the link to the actual post where the person did it - only they modified the motherboard.. and then the Voodoo 5 5500 - a riser is a much better way to go except you have to mount the video card somewhere else:
You can also make it run in AGP 4x mode if you are brave enough.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthrea … GP-8X-to-AGP-2X

And it looks like there might actually be one of those AGP to PCI converters for sale on Amibay.:
www.amibay.com/showthread.php?100876-AG ... -others-VC

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 21, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
See here.. and the link to the actual post where the person did it - only they modified the motherboard.. and then the Voodoo 5 […]
Show full quote
Cga.8086 wrote:
hey thats a great idea, i just saw a lot of 10 risers agp8x on aliexpress https://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/AGP-8 … 270210 […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

See here.. and the link to the actual post where the person did it - only they modified the motherboard.. and then the Voodoo 5 5500 - a riser is a much better way to go except you have to mount the video card somewhere else:
You can also make it run in AGP 4x mode if you are brave enough.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthrea … GP-8X-to-AGP-2X

And it looks like there might actually be one of those AGP to PCI converters for sale on Amibay.:
www.amibay.com/showthread.php?100876-AG ... -others-VC

it is difficult to understand

all the pictures are old and dobt load anymore from imgshack

🙁

Reply 15 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I know. Building an AGP riser adapter is on my list as well. I've already got a few risers and no time to build the adapter.. and test with a cheaper card of course.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 21, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think i found the pictures:

https://www.techpowerup.com/77529/3dfx-sfft-1 … r-released?cp=2
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPI … 626&whichpage=1
http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 … ;num=1185303152

notice how he did cut the card, and then tied some pins to 3.3v

Attachments

• 28877493eh9.jpg
    Filename
    28877493eh9.jpg
    File size
    361.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 75244351vw7.jpg
    Filename
    75244351vw7.jpg
    File size
    354.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 21, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

pinout,something to watch out since notice #47 he soldered to a point in sida A point, but the point must be going to side B

Attachments

Reply 18 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And that is why I want to make a modified riser instead of modifying the card. So much better than hacking the card up.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 21, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another thing with the startech cards is missing interrupts. I wasn't able to get any card working that is using interrupts. Tried to put on some missing resistors that seemed related to the irq-stuff but with no luck.

Also, these cards (and other pci cards) don't work in older boards without 3.3v on the pci connectors.
You can supply the voltage yourself, sure.