VOGONS

Wow! PCI to PCI-Express adapter!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In regards to AGP2PCI. Osckhar created one specifically for use with the Voodoo5 6000 (works with other Voodoos too of course). I have one of those and its working flawlessly (see below). It is fully powered by its host slot, no additional power source required. He sells them from time to time, usually on ebay. Just watch the site and contact him when he puts a new one on for sale.

• v5_6k+agp2pci.JPG
    Filename
    v5_6k+agp2pci.JPG
    File size
    806.67 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Osckhar's AGP2PCI in action on one of my server boards
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

In regards to using Voodoo5 on newer systems. I know Osckhar is working on a AGP2PCIe. But until he's finished with that, there are other (rather complicated) solutions. One example is this (not suitable for regular case mounting). On any motherboard with PCIe, connect a SuperMicro RSC-RR1UE-AXL (PCI-X to PCIe), then connect AGP2PCI to PCI-X slot (which allows you to use your card with PCI @66MHz!). I have all those parts and its working great (you should have XP compatible hardware because of the Voodoo5 drivers). If the Voodoo is PCI then you can directly connect to the RSC-RR1UE-AXL (and again, PCI @66MHz!).

Another way is to get a server/workstation board with PCI-X already available and use the PCI Voodoo5 directly in that or use the AGP2PCI for the AGP Voodoo5 (and once again, you have PCI @66MHz).

END OF LINE.