VOGONS

First post, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Voodoo2 card which only works when it's wet.

Specifically, after it has been thoroughly washed with water/iso alcohol solution and a brush. It runs fine like this, and for a day or so after, but then stops working again. What's going on? Has anyone else seen this problem?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 14, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try reflowing it or something. Water may be getting into a cold solder joint and temporarily bridging a connection. This assumes the water has sufficient ions in it to be conductive, but it may be leaching ions from the board and rapidly becoming conductive (deionized water doesn't stay deionized very long).

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 4 of 14, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Well I just pulled it out of the oven and it's working dry now. Let's see how long this lasts..

An old realtor trick to sell homes to gamers is to have the smell of freshly-baked 3D cards wafting through the house.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 5 of 14, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Well I just pulled it out of the oven and it's working dry now. Let's see how long this lasts..

It's been just under a week-- how is it doing?

Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 6 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Results are mixed. It now runs dry but it craps out after about 5-10 minutes. Touching the big 3DFX chips with my finger I see that they are running VERY hot. Is this normal?

I've mounted a big fan over the card and it now appears to be stable. I'm going to let the GLQuake demos run in a loop for an hour or so to be sure.

I think I saw someone mention overclocking of Voodoo cards somewhere. Is it possible to underclock them?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VooDoo 2 Tweaker

I used this on my Athlon 64 machine (800MHz FSB, 400MHz FSB actual) to downclock the VooDoo2 card to 75MHz on both Glide and Direct3D.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 8 of 14, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Results are mixed. It now runs dry but it craps out after about 5-10 minutes. Touching the big 3DFX chips with my finger I see that they are running VERY hot. Is this normal?

Bad caps?

Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 9 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the traces as well. I'd also put heatsinks on the main CPUs of the VooDoo2 card, as well as the RAM.

Reply 10 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's been running the Quake demos for several hours without problem. The fan clearly makes a difference. Adding heat sinks to the chips sounds like a good idea.

I also had a look at the tweak utility, but refresh rates are already at their lowest settings and the pixel clock is at 93%. Is this normal or have these settings already been modified?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

It's been running the Quake demos for several hours without problem. The fan clearly makes a difference. Adding heat sinks to the chips sounds like a good idea.

I also had a look at the tweak utility, but refresh rates are already at their lowest settings and the pixel clock is at 93%. Is this normal or have these settings already been modified?

Those are normal. I'd suggest underclocking to 75MHz for both Glide and Direct3D to put less strain and heat to the chips. Mine was at 93MHz and I downclocked them since it's in a very fast computer.

Reply 12 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are the current settings. I have not changed anything.

Attachments

• Image3.png
    Filename
    Image3.png
    File size
    8.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Image2.png
    Filename
    Image2.png
    File size
    8.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Image1.png
    Filename
    Image1.png
    File size
    8.42 KiB
    Views
    File license

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 14, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The default speed of these cards is 90Mhz. They are actually overclocked now.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 14 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Card is running well at 75 MHz with the fan off. The chips are still hot but noticeably cooler than before.

There's no noticable slowdown. It's running on a 1 GHz Pentium III computer. Is there a Fraps-type frame rate utility for Voodoo cards?

ETA: Note that the underclock is done in software not hardware. This is a dual boot Windows 98 SE/Windows ME machine. I set the underclock in W98 and it still shows as 75 MHz after reboot. However when I boot into WME it shows as 93 MHz again.

Is this too much voodoo?