VOGONS

First post, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, I purchased a socket 7 motherboard from a seller, to use with a Pentium 233 MMX purchased from another seller.

He had given me a pdf of the manual with the jumper settings, so all was goodand P55C.

But lokking at the motherboard, mine did not have this last jumper, and where it was supposed to be there were capacitors, heatsinks, etc.

This was for a “PC Chips”/VX Pro/ M537 motherboard. And version 3.1

Googling a bit, I found that it seems my model/version autosensed the procesor type, and found a “manual”for it here:

http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/pcchips/m537.htm

This one did not reference that jumper so all good.

I installed it and it booted up, etc. But I have one concern:

Literature I read says the P233MMX is supposed to have a core voltage of 2.8V. Well the “manual” I originally received showed 2.8V to be in the “D” position, while the one on that link (and the one that the diagram matches my board, says it’s the “C” position... If the latter is right and I leave it at C it received the 2.8V but if it’s wrong it gets 2.9V. Viceversa, if I put it on D and the former is right, it will get the 2.8V but if it’s wrong it gets 2.7V...

How can I be sure which one is the correct value? Sould I just trust the one I found and tha matches smy board more closely..?

Last edited by walterg74 on 2018-11-09, 14:38. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like Kixs said, not a problem at all.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those P55Cs are incredibly tolerant beasts. The only one I ever saw die was a P200MMX in one of our data centers that had run for 10 years without a heatsink after someone slipped with the clip. It was baked completely reddish-brown in the end. I keep it as a reminder on my desk to this day.

Even though they're specced at 2.8V, so long as you cool them they can tolerate 3.3V too. 2.9V is no problem in the slightest.