VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-09-08, 01:37:

I have a Slocket 8. I'm trying to get it working in a 440EX board with an OEM branded Award 4.51PG BIOS. The board is known good, working fully with a Deschutes P2. When I put the PPro + slocket in there, it boots up but the system hangs right before it prints the CPU ID string. I'm assuming the problem is indeed lack of BIOS support, since if the chipset itself was incompatible it wouldn't even boot or display anything. I've also verified the VRM on the board supports 3.3v.

Anyone up for helping me hack the BIOS to add microcode support? I can dump it with AWDFLASH and post it here if anyone is interested.

Hi, I came across this forum, it could help finding what you are looking for https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/

One thread caught my eye: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/archive/index … ad-32206-1.html

Also interested to learn more about BIOS modicfication required for PPro cpus, for mobos with 440BX chipset - any suggestions where to start, tools needed? 😀

Retro builds & sandbox
IBM XT 5160 | 286 | 386 | 486 | S4 SI5PI AIO & S4 Batman + P60 SX828
S8 & PPro 200 | SS7 FW 5VGF & Asus P5A & AOpen AX59PRO K6-III+ 550MHz
Asus K7M Athlon 1Ghz GDF | Abit SH6 Pentium III 1GHz SL4KL...

Reply 21 of 29, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was able to successfully add the PPro microcodes to the BIOS months ago, but sadly it didn't solve the issue of the BIOS freezing up just before printing the CPU ID text

Reply 22 of 29, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru& … 15/kt1511.shtml

Start reading at "experimental part".
It is somewhat processor register related. But obviously not impossible to fix, if someone is able to edit BIOS code.
(This was already posted by The Serpent Rider at the begining of this thread.)

Reply 23 of 29, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nekurahoka wrote on 2018-08-20, 00:16:

My Tualatin Celeron shows up as a Pentium Pro in Dell's BIOS for my 440BX board. This is being accomplished through a Lin-Lin and Slotket adapter. I'd think it implies that the Pentium Pro microcode is in there. In my experience with BIOS hacking, many of them have microcodes for a range of processors you wouldn't expect to be there. The manufacturer BIOS for my Abit socket 478 board has microcode for several slot 1 processors, for example.

Sure they're slot 1? IIRC there was PIII mobiles in a 479 pin package that you could hack into certain 478 boards.

I know I've done weird crap though, like sticking PII microcode into a socket 7 board to see if a P-MMX gained any features.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24 of 29, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a vogon member who would appear to have solved the BIOS problem, but he is keeping the secret and only releasing BIOS mods for those who purchase his reproduction slockets 😐

Reply 25 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-07-02, 03:32:

There is a vogon member who would appear to have solved the BIOS problem, but he is keeping the secret and only releasing BIOS mods for those who purchase his reproduction slockets 😐

As he has absolutely EVERY right to do so.

Yea it would be nice to have everything done for free, but as I understand it, it take a bit of work to mod the bios correctly.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 27 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-07-13, 02:01:

Yes and I have EVERY right to resent him for it

Keeping secrets is lame as fuck, it's not like I'm asking him to give the slockets away for free

Its his shit and expertise. He should be rewarded for it. It is just that simple.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 28 of 29, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-13, 06:06:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-07-13, 02:01:

Yes and I have EVERY right to resent him for it

Keeping secrets is lame as fuck, it's not like I'm asking him to give the slockets away for free

Its his shit and expertise. He should be rewarded for it. It is just that simple.

No. I intend to modify some BIOSes myself and release them for free

Reply 29 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More power to you. I'd be happy to help test on different boards, but thats as much as I can offer. I have no aptitude modifying bios'es

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.