VOGONS

First post, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the motherboard connector has a proper notch so no chance of messing up at that end, the drive however doesn't, so it would be great if someone could confirm whether I'm doing this right - the drive has no markings indicating where pin1 is, google image search suggests pin1 should be next to those extra four pins that are not used by the cable, but better safe than sorry (almost sure that if connecting this incorrectly, pretty much everything will end up dead). also, does anyone know which pins actually carry power? //ah, should be the ones at the opposite end.

1825_25label.gif

thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0809.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0809.JPG
    File size
    381.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 1 of 6, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://old.pinouts.ru/HD/Ata44Internal_pinout.shtml

Yes, pin 1 should be near the master/slave 4-pin block and 5V is carried by pins 41/42 at the other end.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 6, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no, they are both 44pin ide connectors, so regular 44pin ide cable is ok. anyway, connected as shown on the attached screenshot and booted the system, and no explosions so far, so looking good.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 5 of 6, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it's a Terra TK-3770 thin client - it has two 44pin ide connectors on the board, but they have all the pins (normally, one pin is not present on the connector, and a regular cable is keyed accordingly so you can't connect them improperly), so you have to use a cable that is not keyed in any way, but that also means you CAN connect it the wrong way, and as there is power going through there you are in a serious risk of burning everything should you do that.

3Dfx Help Page