VOGONS

First post, by maximpactbuilder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The board works great with a 486DX33. I ran it all weekend installing tons of software.
...But swap in a 486DX2/66 and the system will boot, but the keyboard won't work after POST. What's weird is the BIOS can be edited with the keyboard, but right after POST, nothing. The capslock/numlock LEDs won't even work. I've tried multiple keyboards.

It's an ASUS VL/I-486SV2G Rev 1.4. None of the manuals I've found for this board match my configuration so I'm not confident in my CPU selection jumpers. Guidance for a 486DX2/66 would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Reply 1 of 1, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The manuals available online generally correspond to the later versions of the board (2.0 and above) which have different jumper settings. I recommend following the settings silk-screened on the board itself, that's what worked best for me (I have a rev. 1.8 using a DX4-100 overdrive).

Normally the settings for a DX2-66 should be the same as for a DX-33 (the only difference is the 2x multiplier, but that is internal to the CPU). Other things you can try: load BIOS/Setup defaults, check your memory/cache timings and try booting with L2 cache disabled.