1000 bucks for a SCSI adapter?

Topic actions

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys,

remember when we talked about SCSI-to-IDE adapters being a little too expensive?

These guys on eBay sell ACARD AEC-7720U Ultra SCSI-to-IDE Bridge Adapter HDD/DVD/CD 50-Pin for a whopping 1000 dollars!!!!.

There's even a finance plan of $49 for 24 months!!! 😁 😁 😁 😁
And the barbaric courage to load 176 dollars of interests!! 😮 😲

All for such a tiny piece or PCB:

51PYCtLfM%2BL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Speaking of knowing that a given piece of hardware, although cheap to make, is desperately needed by some customers for obvious tech reasons, and exploit their need with no shame!

I mean, what if they were to sell a modern computerized refrigerator? I guess uncle Elon could have bought one... maybe!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 2 of 31, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:

Seems like selling a thousand pieces would be a pretty good way to become a tiny-tit millionaire.

↑ ↑ ↑ right!! 🤣

Reply 3 of 31, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had in my hand one of those yesterday. It was used to connect an IDE drive to a SCSI card in a Xerox copier.

I thought about replacing the HDD (I had a SCSI drive) and keeping the adapter, but I didn't know that it was so valuable (and I have no use for it).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 31, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

I had in my hand one of those yesterday. It was used to connect an IDE drive to a SCSI card in a Xerox copier.

I thought about replacing the HDD (I had a SCSI drive) and keeping the adapter, but I didn't know that it was so valuable (and I have no use for it).

Oh man!!! drooling :drooling:

Reply 5 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why post the priciest seller? Obviously they really don't care if they sell them or not.

The cheapest one of that exact adapter I saw was $333.

But why even get something that expensive?

There is an ACARD IDE to 68-pin SCSI adapter for ONLY $170. Then you could get an "inexpensive" 68 to 50-pin SCSI adapter and still come at at less than $200 total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 31, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Why post the priciest seller? Obviously they really don't care if they sell them or not. […]
Show full quote

Why post the priciest seller? Obviously they really don't care if they sell them or not.

The cheapest one of that exact adapter I saw was $333.

But why even get something that expensive?

There is an ACARD IDE to 68-pin SCSI adapter for ONLY $170. Then you could get an "inexpensive" 68 to 50-pin SCSI adapter and still come at at less than $200 total.

Oh yes, I didn't mean that was the only thing available. I just noticed that price and I wanted to share its absurdity with you.

By the way, even $150 dollars is still absurd in my opinion.
I'd say these kind of adapters should sell more or less for the same as IDE to SD card converters (which aren't simply adapters like IDE to CF but also have a control electronics), that is 10 to 20 bucks.

Reply 7 of 31, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know, I've been wondering for a while what's the deal with the prices of SCSI adapters (such as 50 to 68 pin)... they don't seem that rare or technologically advanced to command such high prices. It just seems so random, are those made of solid gold or something? 🤣

Reply 8 of 31, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote:

You know, I've been wondering for a while what's the deal with the prices of SCSI adapters (such as 50 to 68 pin)... they don't seem that rare or technologically advanced to command such high prices. It just seems so random, are those made of solid gold or something? 🤣

Exactly!

I'm an adapters & converters are my daily bread kind of guy. I dealt and shopped for adapters and converters my entire IT life, so I'm very familiar with them.
When I first googled SCSI to IDE converters and saw the prices it felt like, for example, I bought vegetables my entire life, ranging between $1 and $10 dollars/pound, and then all of the sudden for just 1 type of vegetable you find the price is like 80 dollars per pound!
Or as if you enter an electronic store, you walk through the departments, TVs, smartphones, DVDs, refrigerators.... and.... WHAAT? What's that butcher doing selling mortazza and ham besides the Wi-Fi routers shelf???

It totally feels like it doesn't belong there!

In my opinion, here's the reason:

What do these converters do? Allow to use IDE drives on SCSI devices.
IDE devices are pretty common.
But if you have a SCSI device, you have a device that eons ago was a pro/super-pro thing (file servers, workstations, high-end PCs, etc.).
So, like 25 years ago you must have been rich!!!
So, hey, you're still rich! And you NEED to use IDE stuff with your super-rich-pricey (25 years ago) device!
So, hey, these converters are the ONLY solution for you, you're stuck in a corner, you have no alternatives, and you need it!
So, hey, I can ask you whatever the heck I want!

There: pure exploiting.

Reply 9 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They must be selling. Maybe there are businesses that need them for some reason. The device itself is certainly reminiscent of those $5 SATA to PATA adapters.

Reply 10 of 31, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

or... when the volume on these adapters is way lower than the $10-$20 SD to IDE adapters. There is also a lot more work to do adapting scsi to IDE vs CF/SD. Maybe not $300 worth, but I can see $50-$100.

for prices to come down, someone needs to opensource a design, like with XTIDE.

aries-mu wrote:
What do these converters do? Allow to use IDE drives on SCSI devices. IDE devices are pretty common. But if you have a SCSI devi […]
Show full quote

What do these converters do? Allow to use IDE drives on SCSI devices.
IDE devices are pretty common.
But if you have a SCSI device, you have a device that eons ago was a pro/super-pro thing (file servers, workstations, high-end PCs, etc.).
So, like 25 years ago you must have been rich!!!
So, hey, you're still rich! And you NEED to use IDE stuff with your super-rich-pricey (25 years ago) device!
So, hey, these converters are the ONLY solution for you, you're stuck in a corner, you have no alternatives, and you need it!
So, hey, I can ask you whatever the heck I want!

There: pure exploiting.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 11 of 31, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote:

or... when the volume on these adapters is way lower than the $10-$20 SD to IDE adapters. There is also a lot more work to do adapting scsi to IDE vs CF/SD. Maybe not $300 worth, but I can see $50-$100.

for prices to come down, someone needs to opensource a design, like with XTIDE.

You have a point!

Okay so, let's say: now, almost 20 years after SCSI was dropped, I guess the "adaptation work" in someone's research & development department should be long done.
So, maybe it's time they start lowering the prices... what about that?

Also, very well! Please, some Vogons' tech expert... let's opensource this design!! Thanks!! 🤣 😁

Reply 12 of 31, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See my recent thread about SCSI/SATA adapters, same price range if you want one that can connect a SATA HDD to a SCSI bus. If you don't need HDD capability and all you want is a SATA CD on a SCSI bus you can find one around $200. It's a niche market, the supply is low therefore the prices.

I went with the cheaper option, SCSI2SD which can mimic various devices (HDD, CD, tape drive) with a SD card. Not ideal, but definitely more affordable. Got 2 of them foe $120. I was able to use one yesterday to make a SD card appear on the SCSI bus as one CDROM unit and 3 separate HDDs.

SCSI to SATA adapter
My AlphaPC - 164LX with 21164 533 MHz

cyclone3d wrote:

I have recently browsed many SCSI adapters, particularly the Acard ones. That adapter IIRC doesn't work for HDDs, only for slow devices such as CDs, tape drives etc.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13 of 31, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
See my recent thread about SCSI/SATA adapters, same price range if you want one that can connect a SATA HDD to a SCSI bus. If yo […]
Show full quote

See my recent thread about SCSI/SATA adapters, same price range if you want one that can connect a SATA HDD to a SCSI bus. If you don't need HDD capability and all you want is a SATA CD on a SCSI bus you can find one around $200. It's a niche market, the supply is low therefore the prices.

I went with the cheaper option, SCSI2SD which can mimic various devices (HDD, CD, tape drive) with a SD card. Not ideal, but definitely more affordable. Got 2 of them foe $120. I was able to use one yesterday to make a SD card appear on the SCSI bus as one CDROM unit and 3 separate HDDs.

SCSI to SATA adapter
My AlphaPC - 164LX with 21164 533 MHz

Great to know, thanks!

Unfortunately, the SCSI2SD is only limited to 5 MB/sec, 10 MB/sec max. the pricey version, which defeats the whole point of wanting to feel the thrill of a PCI ~120 MB/sec wide SCSI (let's say 80 MB/sec) controller hooked to an advanced fast (UDMA7) CF Card (about same read and write tested net speed) via the SCSI to IDE adapter!

But thanks for the useful info you provided, much appreciated 😊

Reply 14 of 31, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TBH I doubt that even the $1000 adapter does anything more than 15-20MB/s.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15 of 31, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote:

Great to know, thanks!

Unfortunately, the SCSI2SD is only limited to 5 MB/sec, 10 MB/sec max. the pricey version, which defeats the whole point of wanting to feel the thrill of a PCI ~120 MB/sec wide SCSI (let's say 80 MB/sec) controller hooked to an advanced fast (UDMA7) CF Card (about same read and write tested net speed) via the SCSI to IDE adapter!

But thanks for the useful info you provided, much appreciated 😊

I like SCSI myself, but when you're at the point replacing the SCSI drives with an IDE drive, Compact Flash or SD Card on a SCSI adapter you should rather get a PCI SATA controller and a SSD if your computer got free PCI slots (not including computers that aren't PC compatible).

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 31, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Dos, Mac and Amiga systems, then go for one of those SD-to-SCSI adaptors. Much cheaper.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 17 of 31, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if a SD to SCSI adapter on good ISA SCSI HBA would perform (much) better than a SD to IDE adapter on a ISA 386/486, anyone seen or done some tests?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 31, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

I like SCSI myself, but when you're at the point replacing the SCSI drives with an IDE drive, Compact Flash or SD Card on a SCSI adapter you should rather get a PCI SATA controller and a SSD if your computer got free PCI slots (not including computers that aren't PC compatible).

You have a point!
However, for DOS compatibility and drivers (and Win 3.11 also), I'd go with Promise ATA 100 or ATA 133 PCI controller, and then IDE to SD or CF.
But, you know, I wanted SCSI 🤣 😁

Reply 19 of 31, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

For Dos, Mac and Amiga systems, then go for one of those SD-to-SCSI adaptors. Much cheaper.

Sorry, which ones are you talking about?

Thanks