VOGONS

1000 bucks for a SCSI adapter?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some of those, but I prefer the ones with 68 pin interface instead of 50 pin SCSI.

100_1283.jpg
Filename
100_1283.jpg
File size
304.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 21 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand the prices of these ACARDs. Couldn't you just buy a used SCSI HDD for a lot less?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 31, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are ATAPI ONLY (that model anyway) so hard drives are not supported. The adapter lets you use a more modern IDE based tape, removable media, or optical drive on an old SCSI bus.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 23 of 31, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kamerat wrote:

I like SCSI myself, but when you're at the point replacing the SCSI drives with an IDE drive, Compact Flash or SD Card on a SCSI adapter you should rather get a PCI SATA controller and a SSD if your computer got free PCI slots (not including computers that aren't PC compatible).

Emphasis added.
Yes that's one of the main uses for these adapters that live on the bus instead of slots. Hardware compatibility, lack of drivers etc. I for one would love to add a Promise ATA or SATA adapter to my AlphaPC which even has PCI slots. But without driver support, and more importantly without BIOS support that would be useless. Therefore bus adapters.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24 of 31, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aries-mu wrote:
brostenen wrote:

For Dos, Mac and Amiga systems, then go for one of those SD-to-SCSI adaptors. Much cheaper.

Sorry, which ones are you talking about?

Thanks

Just google SD2SCSI. Thay are all over the place. 56 to 75 US Dollars vs. 1000 US Dollars are kind of a price difference.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 25 of 31, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
aries-mu wrote:
brostenen wrote:

For Dos, Mac and Amiga systems, then go for one of those SD-to-SCSI adaptors. Much cheaper.

Sorry, which ones are you talking about?

Thanks

Just google SD2SCSI. Thay are all over the place. 56 to 75 US Dollars vs. 1000 US Dollars are kind of a price difference.

No it's SCSI2SD.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 27 of 31, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r.cade wrote:

There was a pile of these at VCFSE for something like $50-60. I passed on it because I thought that was a little high for what it does...

For me, it allowed the revival of an Alpha system without any fuss. Replaces 1 CDROM and 3 HDDs, all SCSI. Working on setting up a multi-boot NT4/W2k/Linux all on a SD card.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 28 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone going to benchmark the $98 SCSI2SD, the one that runs up to 10 MB/s, against a standard 50-pin narrow drive?

Reply 30 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll do it if I pay for it too!

Maybe if the 5.25" mounting enclose was included in the price, and there was free shipping, I'd buy one.

Reply 31 of 31, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote:

Unfortunately, the SCSI2SD is only limited to 5 MB/sec, 10 MB/sec max. the pricey version, which defeats the whole point of wanting to feel the thrill of a PCI ~120 MB/sec wide SCSI (let's say 80 MB/sec) controller hooked to an advanced fast (UDMA7) CF Card (about same read and write tested net speed) via the SCSI to IDE adapter!

But thanks for the useful info you provided, much appreciated 😊

Maybe now Intel/Altera are trying to make FPGA units more affordable, someday you can have an SCSI2CF or a SCSI2ATA in the price range of the SCSI2SD. Before wasn't possible without using a separated mid level CPLD or an FPGA (for the extra GPIO pins need for CF/ATA controller block/interface), adding an extra cost to the build.

Lets see how the Intel FPGA "arduino" goes.