VOGONS

I have the chance to buy ..

Topic actions

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...a 21" Apple studio display crt monitor ..
Flat screen I believe ...but am unsure if this is totally PC compatible..
Does anyone have experience of these ..and if so what inputs/signals are available ..
??

Reply 1 of 20, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apparently the issue is that the display controls only work via this software (for Mac OS obviously). Here someone says there might be windows version:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=776081

and here's one guy for whom it apparently worked to adjust the display colors/geometry through the windows graphics driver:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-st … s-how-to.76138/

Reply 2 of 20, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If what is said there is true ..
Then once again I can openly curse ..Apple ..
Unless someone knows a way round this problem...
??
Such a fekkin waste ..
I hate the exclusive nature of Apple products ...but it is such a lovely bit of hardware ...and the price wont break the bank.
Anyone ?

Reply 3 of 20, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, it is a pretty cool monitor. I see one in the classifieds here for a hundred euros. I guess it depends on how much you want to shell out for this one!

Worst case you could run the display control software on an Apple device, like an old iBook, and just switch when you need to adjust?

Do love this picture here, which says a lot about the monitor:

apple-studio-display-21-inch-01-100580360-orig.jpg
Filename
apple-studio-display-21-inch-01-100580360-orig.jpg
File size
207.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fancy design, but you can find much better PC compatible CRTs. And cheaper.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm wonder if it would be controllable from a PC running emulated MacOS (Basilisk II or SheepShaver). I don't remember if the Mac emulators give access to USB ports. Also don't know if the monitor is controllable from MacOS 8 or 9. Worth investigating if you're up to it.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 20, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well since the seller is prepared to deliver it to my home ..and for £50 all in ..
I may well just buy it and work on a solution later.
Sadly CRT monitors are now fairly scarce in the UK ..particularly ones with large screen real estate.
and as has been discussed in another thread ..my eyes aint what they once were ..so big is beautiful particularly for me.
I'll come back to this thread once I actually own it.
rgds
VS

Reply 7 of 20, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CRT monitors are scarce everywhere now. I have a bunch but actually want to replace them with better ones and can't find a good one for over a year...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forget what I suggested above, I did a quick search on the emaculation forums (the main support site for MacOS emulators) and it appears that the ones I suggested above don't support USB at all. You would need a real Mac with USB ports running MacOS 8 or newer to control that CRT.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 20, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well ..too late I guess cos I already bought it ..
This could be a huge mistake.
Particularly if the only way to adjust it is to own a mac ..which I do not.
Doh!
So ..is adjustment dialog sent over the DVI ..
There must be a way in ..
a mac can do it ?
so why can an emulator not ?
I'm confused.

Reply 10 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vipersan wrote:
Well ..too late I guess cos I already bought it .. This could be a huge mistake. Particularly if the only way to adjust it is to […]
Show full quote

Well ..too late I guess cos I already bought it ..
This could be a huge mistake.
Particularly if the only way to adjust it is to own a mac ..which I do not.
Doh!
So ..is adjustment dialog sent over the DVI ..
There must be a way in ..
a mac can do it ?
so why can an emulator not ?
I'm confused.

USB was never implemented in the emulator. Why? That's a question for the developer I think. I keep around a Mac G4 for this precise reason (if/when I need to use a piece of software/hardware that isn't supported otherwise). Old pre-Intel G3/G4/G5 Macs are cheap to buy at least here in the US, currently. I got mine for about $30 a couple of years ago, it came as a bare box with no HDD but that was easy to fix. It was useful for flashing firmware on some cards and whatnot.

(edit) the control of the monitor is apparently over a separate USB port, not through the VGA or DVI.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 11 of 20, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think my nephew has a macbook laptop of some kind ..
I will have to speak to him..
I wonder if he can help ?
Once the monitor is adjusted and set up ..will it retain the settings ..or is this something the mac adjusts each time it powers up ..?
ie if he does manage to set it up ...can I simply connect to a PC once he takes the macbook home ?

Reply 12 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That I can't answer. I'm not a Mac guy and never had an Apple CRT.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13 of 20, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can probably just control everything via your graphic card's display properties settings.

I just checked US-Ebay and there's iBooks from the 1999/2000 for like 30$...

Reply 14 of 20, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote:

You can probably just control everything via your graphic card's display properties settings.

I just checked US-Ebay and there's iBooks from the 1999/2000 for like 30$...

You seem to be forgetting that iBooks don't have VGA ports, only the Powerbooks did (on the subject of old Apple laptops), so I don't really see how an iBook would work with that monitor. 😕

Reply 15 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh'.... Never liked that halfway transparent color scheme that Apple used back then.
It was populair though. Really populair. I had a salad bowl, a office desk lamp and a cat litter-box in those semi transparent colours. Yup... Semi transparent orange cat litter-box. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16 of 20, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to own one of those monitors. Ran it on a pc and never had issues, used the graphics card software for calibration. Worked well for a few years until one day it switches on and died.

Was a nice monitor.

Reply 18 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

So it's magic! I knew it!

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 19 of 20, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

100 euros is too much, IMO. While they are indeed high-quality Trinitron monitors with a great picture, the flyback transformers in them like to short and go bad and they are a pain to source replacements for. I have two 17" Studio Display CRTs, and one of them has already died since I got them last year. The picture would flicker and it would make suspiciously loud hissing/snapping sounds, and one day it finally went bad and smoked up my room.

Unrelated, but they are also heavy as sin. My 17-inch models weigh in at 48 pounds (21.7 kg), and the 21-inch models are a hefty 77 pounds (34.9 kg). You can definitely move them around with a bit of grunt work, but as a precaution, know they are a back killer. 😲

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA