VOGONS

First post, by matti46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I'm posting here first time and I'm not sure did I post this to right place but anyway. I have Gigabyte 6VX7B-4X mobo and it gives me error beeps on boot. I recorded the beeps https://instaud.io/2BOq . I think its someting related to graphics adapter according to the AMI bios error message explanation here http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm but I'm not sure how I suppose to listen to those beeps and is that chart correct for my mobo. Problems started when I switched my Voodoo 3 to GF 2 GTS. I tried to switch cards back but that didn't help. I also tried Riva TNT2 M64 card and without card and it still gives me same beeps. AGP connector looks fine. Is my mobo broken or is there some other possible reasons for this?

Other parts of system:
Diamond Monster Sound MX300
Intel Pentium III 1000EB Coppermine
256 mb PC-133 SDRAM
Old IDE harddrive
Couple of CD/DVD drives
Seventeam ST-200P III 200w powersupply

Current Projects:
1: Gigabyte GA-6VX7B-4X - Intel Pentium III 1000EB - 256 mb PC-133 SDRAM - 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
2: M-tech R418W2 - Intel DX4-100 - 8 mb RAM - Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446BV - Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 16S

Reply 1 of 4, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check all your other expansion boards, RAM, and socketed chips to ensure that nothing got pushed out of socket. I have a couple motherboards that, when adding a graphics card, pushes other cards slightly out of their sockets so that errors come up.

Reply 2 of 4, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check for bulging capacitor tops , pretty common for boards of that period to need recapped.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 4, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although a good PSU, that may also have bulged caps that need replaced and cause problems.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 4, by matti46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RetroBoogie wrote:

Check all your other expansion boards, RAM, and socketed chips to ensure that nothing got pushed out of socket. I have a couple motherboards that, when adding a graphics card, pushes other cards slightly out of their sockets so that errors come up.

Actually later on I noticed that graphics card wasn't fully inserted to AGP socket. When I pushed card in place everything was nice but after I tightened holding screw card shifted little bit from the bottom.

Current Projects:
1: Gigabyte GA-6VX7B-4X - Intel Pentium III 1000EB - 256 mb PC-133 SDRAM - 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
2: M-tech R418W2 - Intel DX4-100 - 8 mb RAM - Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446BV - Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 16S