VOGONS

Absurd prices for vintage hardware?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I came across a game port midi adapter cable and wanted to get it, but after looking at the price i nearly threw up
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MIDI-Joystick-Cable-W … XIAAOSwHptY-6oN
mc89jws.png
1100 dollars??!?!?!?
Is it at all worth THIS much??? It's just a cord! The most shocking thing is that 100 were sold already!
I don't even want to think about SCSI to IDE adapters, those are even worse at 1297.20 dollars... Are any of these really worth THAT much?!?!?! it looks like a bunch of wires, it cant be THAT expensive??? I could get a whole vintage PC mint for something like this... probably

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ACARD-AEC-7720U-Ultra … RgAAOxyOMdS80tk

Has anyone else seen some absurd prices for this stuff?

Reply 4 of 57, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andreja6 wrote:

... The most shocking thing is that 100 were sold already! ...

Eh... the counter doesn't reset if the seller adjusts the price, so those probably went for a more reasonable sticker.

Also, there was another thread like this last week.

Reply 6 of 57, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Threads complaining about high prices appear with some regularity.

Incidentally, you may have noticed the madness has now firmly gripped the P4 market.

Interest rates are going up though. That will probably put a damper on this.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

They just jack the price when they're out of stock so they don't have to pay a relist fee.

So they list with something ridiculous like 100k stock that they're never going to reach and crank the price when they're back ordered?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 57, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something like that. I've never hosted a multi-part auction so don't know the details. When they're down to 1 item they raise the price to a ridiculous level until new stock arrives. That way they can keep the same auction going for its maximum duration without having to relist.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Threads complaining about high prices appear with some regularity.

Incidentally, you may have noticed the madness has now firmly gripped the P4 market.

Interest rates are going up though. That will probably put a damper on this.

P4-Market going up in price now? I have actually been wondering for a long time, as to when those that were teenagers and early-20's back in the 00's. Started to become nostalgic. Guess I got the answer now. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 57, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andreja6 wrote:

Wow I think i remember seeing a glimpse of that thread. I'm just shocked at the prices people demand for this crap simply because they can't be bothered to pay a few bucks for a restocking fee

If this shocks you then you must spend a lot of time being shocked. The seller isn't demanding anything, and their avoiding a restocking fee doesn't impact you in the slightest.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 12 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Something like that. I've never hosted a multi-part auction so don't know the details. When they're down to 1 item they raise the price to a ridiculous level until new stock arrives. That way they can keep the same auction going for its maximum duration without having to relist.

Fairly clever.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 57, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see this occasionally. Sometimes they don't fix the auction numbers and offer me different model or sent me wrong memory modules, or which is common with WWON_ONE seller.

Now I no longer deal with this seller if they do that, but be aware that a group of sellers owns different seller names from china as well. Basically makes this hard to find unique sellers that sells properly.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15 of 57, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other thing about them jacking up the price when only one is left is that you can have listings set to "good until canceled".

It really does make sense in that case to jack up the price when only one is left because then you don't have to worry about the ended listing getting lost in a huge list of other ended listings or relisting and then forgetting you changed something in the listing and accidentally choosing the wrong ended listing or template.. and besides, the ended listings go away from your account after a while.

The other thing is that when you list it automagically forces a specific shipping exclusion list. You have to go back in and edit the listing to remove those exclusions if you really want to ship worldwide.

I am sad that they stopped maintaining and discontinued support for Turbo Lister although I can kinda understand why they did it since they revambed their online listing tool.

I really just need to be better about making/updating my templates.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 57, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FX 5800 Ultra. I just don't get it. It's a piece of crap. Always was, always will be.
I could see someone paying $100-$200 for a working one. However, paying over $1000 is absurd, especially considering there's a 99% chance it will die soon anyway.
The first rule from Pawn Stars, just because it's rare, doesn't mean it's valuable.

To each his own, but this one in particular is truly baffling to me.

Last edited by watson on 2018-09-16, 13:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 57, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vvbee wrote:

That someone pays highly for it means it's valuable.

I realize that it's way past the point of becoming valuable.
As soon as one person pays that much, it gets much easier for others to rationalize paying the same amount.
I know, I know, "this hobby is much cheaper than collecting cars or watches", "but I have muh $100k salary, I can spend my money however I want".
The retro video game market is even worse (NES, SNES, arcade), so who am I to judge.

Reply 19 of 57, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not just a cable, but still this midi cable you can build yourself. Inside one connector for midi capability it has just couple transistors and opto coupler inside that MIDI converter. All together worth aprox $5 details and schematics widely available.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!