VOGONS

Absurd prices for vintage hardware?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 57, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

To be fair, times are tough in Greece.

Nice weather, nice food, nice women... they don't need money.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 41 of 57, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
okenido wrote:

There is a Greek seller on ebay that sells stupidly priced hardware, and it's not to avoid re-listing fees or something since everything is 1-qty, he's just desperately waiting for some noob to buy his overpriced junk. It's not even rare pieces, for example he sells a 400Mhz PII for $300+...

I sometimes sell hardware for prices that some vogons members would define as ridiculous. The idea behind this strategy is to wait for maximum profit (and to not care about what others think of it). Small items like sound cards etc. don't take up a lot of space, so why would you want to sell them quickly for peanuts (apart from maybe doing somebody a pleasure)? In the meanwhile that they are for sale you can enjoy them yourself. If you don't need money immediately, then you can afford to wait for the buyer with the most money to show up.

Reply 42 of 57, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

To be fair, times are tough in Greece.

Nice weather, nice food, nice women... they don't need money.

Food and rent is not free.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 43 of 57, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen also that Greek guy and LOLed, it's like that other Canadian guy (IIRC) with the terrible pictures...
I can understand wanting to sell something good for a good price but generic random stuff? Nah...

Btw things really suck here for people in the private sector - tbh they always sucked for the private sector and the small guy in it. That's one of the many reasons our economy cannot recover.... Bleh

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44 of 57, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

If you don't need money immediately, then you can afford to wait for the buyer with the most money to show up.

Even the buyer with the most money will look for the cheapest offering, not for the most expensive one. So if you ask a price that is higher than the rest, you won't ever sell something. Unless all you sell is unique, it simply won't work that way.

Reply 45 of 57, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

If you don't need money immediately, then you can afford to wait for the buyer with the most money to show up.

Even the buyer with the most money will look for the cheapest offering, not for the most expensive one. So if you ask a price that is higher than the rest, you won't ever sell something. Unless all you sell is unique, it simply won't work that way.

No, it doesn’t work that way for everybody. You can charge a significant premium, even for common hardware, amongst others if you advertise properly. I’m not sure whether you can get € 300 for a common PII CPU, but I’m sure you can get 2-4x as much as the cheapest advertiser, certainly if competition is absent for a while.

Reply 46 of 57, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Whenever there are two or more of the same kind, I prefer to buy the more expensive offering if the pictures are of higher quality, the seller's feedback/rating is considerably better and the description provides more in-depth information (plus a multitude of additional factors).

If you act differently, fine. But you're definitely better off to stop pretending that your behavior applies to the rest of the world. This kind of generalization is simply not correct.

Reply 47 of 57, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please carefully read what I wrote. I wrote "look for", not "choose". If you are searching for something, you check the cheapest offers first, not the most expensive ones (don't try to tell me otherwise, please). What you select to buy in the end is a different story and may very well depend on your personal taste. You probably choose the offer with the best cost-benefit ratio, but that is hardly the most expensive one either. So my statement stays correct.

But you're definitely better off to stop pretending that your behavior applies to the rest of the world. This kind of generalization is simply not correct.

Ditto. Stop reading sloppy or between the lines - read what was actually written.

Reply 48 of 57, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Please carefully read what I wrote. I wrote "look for", not "choose". If you are searching for something, you check the cheapest offers first, not the most expensive ones (don't try to tell me otherwise, please). What you select to buy in the end is a different story and may very well depend on your personal taste. You probably choose the offer with the best cost-benefit ratio, but that is hardly the most expensive one either. So my statement stays correct.

You're statement stays shit, that's about it. Whenever I come across a multitude of offerings I check them by their appearance not by their price. You little guy seem to have significant problems understanding people's different approaches when it comes to getting closer to an actual buy.
And, just as a little reminder: please don't waste neither your's and neither my time insinuating I'd check cheapest first.

derSammler wrote:

Ditto. Stop reading sloppy or between the lines - read what was actually written.

You're pathetic, though somehow adorable at the same time.

Reply 49 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can we close this tread. No matter who is right or wrong, people start getting on each others throat. I dont care who is right. Just dont argue right...

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 51 of 57, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Can we close this tread. No matter who is right or wrong, people start getting on each others throat. I dont care who is right. Just dont argue right...

There is a report button on top of every posting. Never noticed before?

oeuvre wrote:

Guess you could say this thread is... absurd.

tenor.gif

Reply 52 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:
There is a report button on top of every posting. Never noticed before? […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

There is a report button on top of every posting. Never noticed before?

oeuvre wrote:

Guess you could say this thread is... absurd.

tenor.gif

No need to report anything to anyone. You guys fighting, are ruining it so perfectly well on your own. Just saying that we have been there before. Remember the "cheap not for me" tread. Yeah.... Bad apples destroyed the it.

True this this one here is kind of absurd, at least it has become absurd. And now people are fighting over what?

Reply 53 of 57, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

No need to report anything to anyone. You guys fighting, are ruining it so perfectly well on your own. Just saying that we have been there before. Remember the "cheap not for me" tread. Yeah.... Bad apples destroyed the it.

Let me get this straight: you want a moderator to close this thread, so subsequently you start whining in the thread instead of using the most obvious feature to accomplish that by using the report function? That just blows my mind.

Reply 54 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Let me get this straight: you want a moderator to close this thread, so subsequently you start whining in the thread instead of using the most obvious feature to accomplish that: using the report function? That just blows my mind.

Sir. I will not let my self get dragged into a fight. That is pointless. All I did, was to remind people, that fighting sometimes get treads closed. People have even gotten thrown out for speaking up in a harsh tone. Remember hightreason and the beef people had with him and him with other users?? If you read my reply as whining, well, then it is your own issue. I cant really care, and will not adress this further...

Just saying. I aint going to play any snitch here. Only warning people not to fight. Mods on Vogons can be really tough.

Reply 55 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr tibs wrote:

Sounds like your dragging yourself into a fight.

Yup. I noticed. As to why I had to say stop. 😀

Reply 56 of 57, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think we need a thread where the sole purpose is to fight about stuff.

That way, nobody should get angry about it and it can just be fun.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK