VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have finished building and clocking my 486 isa ch-486 chicony system, current running a 586 amd at 160mhz 40fsb.

It has 256 sram cache 20ns Toshiba tc55328p-20 x 8 chips and tag ram 256kb at38h256-20

So in the spur of the moment I bought 10 x w24257ak-10 chips to replace my cache (2 spare just incase)

I also have a spare tag cache chip 256kb um612256fk-15

will these chips work together?
will it benefit me in my setup getting lower ns cache?
should I try to find a lower ns cache tag to match the 10ns chips I ordered?

also my bios doesn't have cache timings option under advanced, worth changing the chips at all?

The chips I ordered will be part of my collection so regardless if they useless or not in this system they will be usefull to me sooner or later

Reply 1 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well since you ordered them already there's one way to find out.
Generally you want the tag RAM to be faster than the other cache chips, or at least as fast as them.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote:
will these chips work together? will it benefit me in my setup getting lower ns cache? should I try to find a lower ns cache t […]
Show full quote

will these chips work together?
will it benefit me in my setup getting lower ns cache?
should I try to find a lower ns cache tag to match the 10ns chips I ordered?

also my bios doesn't have cache timings option under advanced, worth changing the chips at all?

The chips I ordered will be part of my collection so regardless if they useless or not in this system they will be useful to me sooner or later

provided they work with the motherboard, yes
no.
no.

That is why I said no the the above 2 questions. If they are working? No.

Story of my life.

20ns is rated up to 50 MHZ. You said you are running at 40 MHZ FSB. It all looks good. And when you can, you want the tag ram to be a step faster, but at 33/40mhz its really a non-issue. its just a good rule of thumb. Now if you were having stability issues at 50mhz fsb, then 12 or 15ns chips MIGHT help.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 8, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see, thanx for the explanation so it might be worth to swap my current tag ram of 20ns with the 15ns one that I have.

Looks like the chips I ordered will simply go with my collection for now

Reply 5 of 8, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second the tip with the tag having to be of lower latency - this proved to be correct in my tests.

Regarding your system - not worth it to change ICs if it runs correctly under the current config. The "speed" is defined by the clockrate and the timings and once a chip can perform at these settings a faster one(e.g. 10- vs 20ns) will not make a change.

The 1000/ns formula to get the "imaginary" mhz doesn't translate to reality very well - there are 15ns chips that don't even make it under a 40mhz clockrate with tight timings + there are chipsets that are not fit for a timing no matter what BIOS settings+srams you use.

There's a lot of trial and error involved, unless you have an expensive sram tester, and since your system is running I would call it a day.

Reply 8 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2021-02-02, 02:25:

Is it possible to get SRAM cache chips that are too fast? For example, if I have a 25Mhz 486 board, would 12ns or 15ns chips be too fast?

No. The speed rating is simply what the chip can tolerate. Has no bearing on how fast it actually runs