VOGONS

First post, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of curiosity I used the patch on a Win ME install and tried a couple of drivers etc.. For as far as I can see it works how it should.
But... in an old thread here on Vogons the patch is described as a 'horrible kludge'. I wonder if there are known problems with this patch and, if so, if people who use or have used it can comment on this issue.

dl:
http://www.oocities.org/mfd4life_2000/

Reply 1 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The patch prevents REGENV from wiping AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS on every boot, instead it is given alternate files to mess with leaving originals alone. No compatibility problems will arise but you do want to include the data in original files into the new ones (bunch of SET directives IIRC).
Rest is using MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM from an alternate source that allows alternate boot modes and there's no problems with that either.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 6, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. The only difference that I have noticed so far is that the high/upper memory management is different in the ME DOS environment - no more HIMEM.SYS for example. Maybe that can cause problems with older software ?

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You no longer get an option to load your own HIMEM.SYS equivalent, it is part of MSDOS.SYS and loaded automatically. You can still add the line in your CONFIG.SYS with desired parameters however.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That does not work here, results in a boot error+beep. It is also not possible to load EMM386, then the system hangs. Do you know if there is an article about configuring config.sys\autoexec.bat under Windows ME somewhere on-line ?

Reply 5 of 6, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should be possible to get the DOS mode in the boot menu. Similar to what 98 does. Entrys like "normal start", "safe mode" "command line only", "command line with netwirking", etc
Those later entries is what you want.

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1

Reply 6 of 6, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It boots directly into DOS => C:\ when WIN.COM is not started in the AUTOEXEC.BAT
i am more interested in how for example high memory is handled and if it can be configured or has to be configured. The LH commands seem(?) to work though.