VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For some months now I've had an ancient 1986-era ASC-88 8b SCSI controller knocking around in the bottom of my 'to-do' box. Now I have an XT-class machine (Olivetti M24) I've decided to see what this device can do. I've been testing on a 486 system.

The card is very simple, with an AMD-sourced NCR5380, internal 50p and external 50p Centronics connectors and two jumper blocks, the one for bus power, the other for ROM address. Jumper settings here:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy … es-ASC-178.html

Now, the hardware bit is clear enough, and so long as I don't choose a conflicting ROM address, I get this at POST:

Advanced Storage Concepts
SCSIBIOS - ver. 3.3
date - 12-Aug-87

So it looks like the BIOS is at least loading and it's likely the card is working. Now what...

What I would like to do is to be able to connect a SCSI hard disk and/or CDRom drive to my old XT (once I find a keyboard for it) while running DOS, but for now at least to the 486. What I don't necessarily need is the ability to boot from SCSI - I have a perfectly good IDE drive in my 486 and there's an old but still good 20MB MFM in the XT. Also the smallest SCSI HDD I have is larger than the Int13h limit...

Trying to find drivers I found this page:
http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/apple.cabi.net/U … SI.TUTORIAL.txt

ADVANCED STORAGE CONCEPTS (The Houston based company in this article.) sources a board that just drops into the pc XT AT or 386 and uses an included self installing device driver to configure the board and install itself as a DOS device driver.

Uhuh. Well mine certainly isn't self-installing anything.

I've been digging around for any kind of drivers for the 5380, but haven't found anything. Regular ASPI drivers don't work, but that's no surprise with an adapter 4 years older than the ASPI standard. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:
There's a thread on VCFED about it, with a link to a dumped BIOS newer than mine, but also no utils/drivers
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?131 … torage-concepts

Reply 1 of 17, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For plain HDD under DOS you shouldn't need any drivers, the card's BIOS should take care of HDD access. CD-ROM is a different matter, you will need ASPI-compatible drivers for that.

I was looking for "ncr5380 dos" and couldn't find anything about drivers (I did tangentially come across this interesting project based on the 5380 https://hackaday.io/project/18974-tiny-scsi-emulator SCSI emulator based on an ARM board and the 5380)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 17, by waltje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2018-08-29, 18:51:

For some months now I've had an ancient 1986-era ASC-88 8b SCSI controller knocking around in the bottom of my 'to-do' box. Now I have an XT-class machine (Olivetti M24) I've decided to see what this device can do. I've been testing on a 486 system.

Hi,

A bit late, but... still around?

I have some news on this card..

--Fred

Reply 3 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
waltje wrote on 2020-12-18, 23:45:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

--Fred

Post away anyway Fred. I'm sure other members will find the info interesting.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-18, 23:52:
waltje wrote on 2020-12-18, 23:45:
Hi, A bit late, but... still around? I have some news on this card.. […]
Show full quote

Hi,

--Fred

Post away anyway Fred. I'm sure other members will find the info interesting.

Yes please post any info you have.
Have a few old 8bit NCR based SCSI cards and the 53c400 is based on same 53c80 core logic. So for DOS purposes the very old drivers for a 53c400 might work with a 53c80.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 17, by waltje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-12-19, 00:06:

Have a few old 8bit NCR based SCSI cards and the 53c400 is based on same 53c80 core logic. So for DOS purposes the very old drivers for a 53c400 might work with a 53c80.

Well, I am the lead dev of a PC Systems Emulator (www.varcem.com), and I have been busy cleaning up
the SCSI layer recently. Implemented are several 5380/c80/c400/c400a cards, including the ASC-88
mentioned in the initial post.

That said.. I am looking for someone who has the actual card, preferrably in a working PC, so I can send
him/her a (DOS) tool I am writing that will eventually be able to replace the ASC_MODE.EXE program,
which is the card's configurator. Before we can do that, however, I have to be able to get my hands on
the contents of the EEPROM on that card, and my tool also supports copying that out to a file. Once
we habe that data, I can analyze it and implement the remainder.

I think it's safe to assume all its original software-and-docs have been lost to time.

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waltje wrote on 2020-12-19, 04:54:
Well, I am the lead dev of a PC Systems Emulator (www.varcem.com), and I have been busy cleaning up the SCSI layer recently. Im […]
Show full quote

Well, I am the lead dev of a PC Systems Emulator (www.varcem.com), and I have been busy cleaning up
the SCSI layer recently. Implemented are several 5380/c80/c400/c400a cards, including the ASC-88

That said.. I am looking for someone who has the actual card, preferrably in a working PC, so I can send
him/her a (DOS) tool I am writing that will eventually be able to replace the ASC_MODE.EXE program,
which is the card's configurator. Before we can do that, however, I have to be able to get my hands on
the contents of the EEPROM on that card, and my tool also supports copying that out to a file. Once

I think it's safe to assume all its original software-and-docs have been lost to time.

Thanks!

Right. Will dig deep down in my "never managed to fix this" pile to see if I can still find the card. If I still have it (and can find it), I'll rip the contents of the EPROM and get it to you.

Reply 7 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-12-19, 13:07:
Well, I am the lead dev of a PC Systems Emulator (www.varcem.com), and I have been busy cleaning up the SCSI layer recently. Im […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

Right. Will dig deep down in my "never managed to fix this" pile to see if I can still find the card. If I still have it (and can find it), I'll rip the contents of the EPROM and get it to you.

I have a NEC Trantor T128 with Zilog version of the NCR 5380 (Z0538010PSC 9101) that worked last time tested. It has the NEC Trantor BIOS v1.12, will that be of any value ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 17, by waltje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-12-19, 16:17:

I have a NEC Trantor T128 with Zilog version of the NCR 5380 (Z0538010PSC 9101) that worked last time tested. It has the NEC Trantor BIOS v1.12, will that be of any value ?

Yep !

Without saved BIOSes, these cards can never be emulated, or, preserved for the future !

--Fred

Reply 9 of 17, by waltje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome!

However, what I need *most* from the card is the contents of its EEPROM.

It would be great if you could stick the card into a working ISA machine, and run the DOS tool I am writing to
handle dumping of both its BIOS, as well as its EEPROM..

--Fred

Reply 11 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waltje wrote on 2020-12-19, 23:49:

Progress made. Weekends are great :

https://imgur.com/a/2dlX1ZP

(I don't know how to add pictures to posts here..)

Great ! to add a picture here click the full editor then click attachments below the text box. Try to keep the images below 1Mb each.
Here is the Trantor T128 BIOS v1.12, the Zilog 5380 datasheet, the EPROM data sheet and a picture+text all in one zip.

Attachments

• Filename
    Trantor_T128_stuff.zip
    File size
    892.74 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

Thanks!

If you find it can you post a picture of it ? Looked around but could not find one.
Found the Scsiworks v1.2 package (for DOS, OS2, NT) and it supports the Trantor T128 based on same 5380 chip as ASC-88 so it's drivers may work ok for your card.
Will up them to the Library.

Reply 13 of 17, by waltje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

Thanks!

Did you ever find anything in the pile?

--Fred

Reply 14 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waltje wrote on 2021-03-09, 07:07:
Show full quote

Thanks!

--Fred

Unfortunately not. I'll take another look this evening, I found another pile I'd forgotten about...

Reply 15 of 17, by waltje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-03-09, 12:10:
waltje wrote on 2021-03-09, 07:07:

--Fred

Unfortunately not. I'll take another look this evening, I found another pile I'd forgotten about...

*keeps fingers crossed*

Reply 17 of 17, by scsirob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if you are still interested in playing with this technology, but the ASC-88 card is one that I used a lot and I wrote quite a lot of software for.

My job at the time was tech support for a tape drive company called Exabyte. They standardized on the ASC-88 for customer diagnostics. I wrote the Expert 7 tape diagnostics for this.
As the ASC-88 was a bit hard to find and people standardized on Adaptec (1542 mainly), I wrote a TSR in x86 assembly that emulates the ASC-88 card on an ASPI driver. So if you want to feel the pain of the ASC-88 and still have a DOS ASPI-compatible card then I'm sure I can get you that TSR. Just send me a note

Cheers,
Rob