VOGONS

First post, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

my friend have Dawicontrol SCSI2 controller with am53C974akc chip for sale.
Chip has nice package. What windows are supported with am53C974 ?
Win 95/98/Me build in or with driver?
Win 2000? If yes, XP too?
Win Vista 32bit still supported?

Thanks

L.

Reply 2 of 10, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrau wrote:

this is very old stuff; no semi modern system will run on this smoothly, even if it were supported

I know but some AHA 2940 narrow-SCSI cards ase still usable under WIndows Vista to W10.

My main question is if card workind under XP. And under W98 without installing drivers from disk.

Reply 3 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe I have the same controller. Iirc it is supported under Win98SE natively - but not sure. My Win98SE system is currently in a scandisk session, testing some old drives I picked up. In about 16 hours (if it keeps going at the rate it's doing now) I can stick in the card and confirm.

Reply 4 of 10, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. Can You test drivers under W2000/XP too?

I remember AMD NET was my favourite LAN card when i installed Win98 computers 18 years ago. It was supported natively when 3com and Realtek cards wanted drivers from floppy.

Reply 5 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have any XP systems at present, but might be able to look at behaviour under 2k. Can't promise that as the system in question needs more work and I expect a busy evening.

Reply 6 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, the scandisk is finished at last (and the disk is fine 😀 ) so I plugged my Dawicontrol DC-974 with AMD AM53C974 into my Win98SE system.

Result:
Completely automatic detection. It didn't even give a 'searching for drivers' prompt, it just instantly recognized it as "AMD PCI SCSI Controller"

Reply 8 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Benchmark... ain't got no time for that shiiit 😉

Maybe tomorrow, although both work and private life are idiotically busy atm, so no promises. If not tomorrow, I'm not even home till Sunday... in any event I have disks that will totally outperform the 50p narrow SCSI limitations (Seagate Cheetah 10k...). I believe I even have a period-correct copy of ATTO somewhere on my server.

Did find time to stick it in my P3-1000 Win2k system too. Same there: automatic detection/install with no searching for drivers prompt. Would be fun to benchmark in that system, although the SCSI drive would lose to the regular boot disk, even if on an U160 controller (the boot disk is a 64GB Intel X25E SLC SSD 😜 )

Reply 10 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm afraid that benchmark's not going to happen... I had half an hour this morning I could have used, but I can't find my SCSI disks. They are in the computer room *somewhere*, but not in any of the obvious places. It would take more time than I have to dig them up (i.e. tidy the whole place up), let alone then mess around with them.