VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, is my power supply bad or maybe i should change cable that goes to the wall?

i tried 2 LCD monitors different brand and when the vga cable touched the metal of the vga connector on the videocard it creates an electric discharge.

i am not sure if its a motherboard issue, a power supply issue, or the cable of the power supply.
I doubt its the monitor since i already tried 2.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try to rotate the power plug(s) ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

Is the power outlet properly grounded?

Note that this includes all the way down. The PSU cable needs three connected wires, the outlet needs three connected wires, everything in-between needs three connected wires (power cord extensions and the like)... and the ground wire need to be properly grounded.

In my country, ever house builded has to have a proper "ground" installation... but older houses (i.e.: my old house, that was built 50 years ago) did not have that requirement (there are other safety requirements for those older houses, but not grounded installations). Also, keep in mind that those regulations about ground outlets were only in place for the original installation. Some people forgets to add the earth wire when placing new outlets.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Second that.

Note that if you do not have access to (enough) properly grounded outlets, whatever you do. don't have the one device grounded and the other not. That's asking for this kind of issue, as the ungrounded one will try to ground itself through the grounded device. Also note that devices that are not properly grounded will try to ground themselves through any available conductor, which can include audio or network cabling. So even if neither monitor nor PC are connected to properly grounded outlets, it's possible the PC is grounding itself via some other cable, so you still get the spark when connecting the monitor.

There are all kinds of half-arsed workarounds, but the only good solution is to connect devices as required, so if the PC and monitor expect a grounded power supply, to give them one.

Reply 5 of 5, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If something is supposed to be grounded and isn't, the suppression Y capacitors from hot to ground and cold to ground will cause the case to float at half mains voltage. This can give an unpleasant tingle to anything which provides a ground path.