VOGONS

First post, by Midlandsretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

New to the board but have been getting help from here for a few weeks.

I need help please. I've reached the limit of my knowledge when it comes to this issue I'm having.

I was very lucky to find my very first pc when emptying out my Dad's attic.

A socket 7 Pentium 166mmx with 32mb of Edo? Ram. Cirrus logic 5446 2d video card and a trust voodoo dragon 2 3d card. All it needed was a sound card.

It was running win 95 but it was a bit of a mess so I decided to install win 98se (also because I thought usb support would be better) on a newer hard drive as I wanted to keep the old hard drive just in case there were old photos or files on it.

Win 98 installed fine so I then set about sorting out the drivers. The voodoo drivers were a pain but I got there eventually.

I bought an ensoniq PCI 128 sound card thinking it should work fine. Got the iso for the original driver CD and installed. This is where the problems started.

In DOS I would get music but no sound FX for Windows games they would just freeze and not respond. So for example in Unreal it would get to galaxy.dll and just freeze. Forsaken wouldn't load after the splash screens. Doom 2 for win 95 wouldn't install at all and get stuck at installing direct X.

At first I thought irq or DMA conflict so I changed the settings and physically moved the cards.

Same thing. Right ok. So I read on here about the trouble people have with PCI cards on socket 7. So I bought a sound blaster awe 64 value Isa card.

DOS now works perfectly. But windows games still freeze at exactly the same places and won't start.

After watching Phil's computer lab I bought a sb0100 sound blaster live thinking if I had one sound card for DOS and one for Windows that would solve it. Sadly the card doesn't show as selectable for a playback device so no sound. Also the drv98 drivers wouldn't install.

Part of me thought it's due to the voodoo 2 card but last night I was able to play tomb raider full sound in 3dfx mode and it was amazing.

The other thing I though was hard ware acceleration on the sound card but every time I try to get to the setting to change it the pc hard locks.

As I say my knowledge has reached its limit I'm really hoping someone might know why this happens and be able to help me.

Thank you reading all of this.

Dan