VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the Intel Tualatin Pentium-III CPU make a good retro gaming computer ?
I have an Asus CUSL2-C Socket 370 Motherboard with a Tualatin 1.2ghz Pentium-III CPU that I don't know what to do with.

Pro and Cons please.

Attachments

• Asus Mobo.jpg
    Filename
    Asus Mobo.jpg
    File size
    737.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Tualatin CPU.jpg
    Filename
    Tualatin CPU.jpg
    File size
    25.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-09-07, 13:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's the fastest P3 processor. I don't see any cons just pros 😉

That Asus CUSL2-C doesn't support Tualatin core Pentiums. Do you have an adapter?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 11, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I may tag along on this post, my question would be how does it do regarding later DOS games say 1995-97? Too fast w/o dosbox?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

It's the fastest P3 processor. I don't see any cons just pros 😉

That Asus CUSL2-C doesn't support Tualatin core Pentiums. Do you have an adapter?

Might be a different Asus motherboard but it does have a tualatin 1.2ghz.

Reply 5 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

Then it could be TUSL2-C. They look pretty much the same.

What is the best operating system to run on this computer ?
DOS / Win98se / ME / Win2000 ?

Reply 6 of 11, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
buckeye wrote:

If I may tag along on this post, my question would be how does it do regarding later DOS games say 1995-97? Too fast w/o dosbox?

Late DOS games aren't speed sensitive. Some of them can benefit from the Tualatin's speed though, you can further raise the resolution. Quake or Build Engine games like Blood are the best examples. Exceeding 1024x768 isn't out of question.

(I prefer having ISA bus and sound card for DOS, though! It means a different motherboard, most likely with VIA 694T chipset.)

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 7 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alvaro84 wrote:

Late DOS games aren't speed sensitive.

That''s not necessarily true. Daggerfall has problems (mostly sound related) on anything faster than a Pentium MMX from my experience, and that game is from 1996.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8 of 11, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
kixs wrote:

On the subject of gaming, I would choose either Windows 98SE or Me depending on whichever one you prefer. I'd choose Windows Me if DOS gaming wasn't a concern, but that's just me. You can dual boot with Windows 2000 if you wanted a stable OS for general productivity software use. I wouldn't bother with Windows XP if you have better rigs for that OS. Pure DOS would be wasteful as that motherboard has no ISA slots and DOS doesn't get along well with PCI sound cards IIRC.

Reply 9 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:
kixs wrote:

On the subject of gaming, I would choose either Windows 98SE or Me depending on whichever one you prefer. I'd choose Windows Me if DOS gaming wasn't a concern, but that's just me. You can dual boot with Windows 2000 if you wanted a stable OS for general productivity software use. I wouldn't bother with Windows XP if you have better rigs for that OS. Pure DOS would be wasteful as that motherboard has no ISA slots and DOS doesn't get along well with PCI sound cards IIRC.

Depends on the PCI sound card.

It isn't that DOS doesn't get along with them, it is the fact that they don't support ISA DMA the same was ISA cards do.

Different cards implemented it different ways. The Yamaha based cards can use.
1. PC-PCI / SB-Link for ISA DMA
2. DDMA - depends on chipset support and there are multiple modified setupds config programs for the full range of chipsets that support that. EMM386 not required and no TSR.
3. DSDMA - requires EMM386 but support is excellent in games as long as they can run with EMM386 loaded.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 11, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:
alvaro84 wrote:

Late DOS games aren't speed sensitive.

That''s not necessarily true. Daggerfall has problems (mostly sound related) on anything faster than a Pentium MMX from my experience, and that game is from 1996.

Mental note taken. One day I may check out this game.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts