VOGONS

First post, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another Vogons member spotted the Chenbro SR20503 on ebay for a possible retro build. Like them, I am also considering this case for its relatively-retro bezel, decent cooling options, and new/old stock availability (while it lasts). Here are my initial impressions.

Keep in mind that these are only early thoughts, and that I'm evaluating it from the perspective of someone most interested in Windows 98-era hardware. I'm also a huge case nerd. Your mileage may vary, based on your needs and tastes.

dscn5489ab5f4c.jpg dscn5490ag7d4y.jpg
The case feet have a guide bump for aligning them either parallel or perpendicular to the case. Here they are in line with the case, shown with the plastic washer/screw that secures it.

dscn5540ay8c6b.jpg dscn5541axld0f.jpg dscn5542ai6c3t.jpg
The case opens uncommonly: after a single thumbscrew is removed from the back, the top slides off, revealing handles for two side panels. After a single screw is removed on top of each panel, panels can be lifted off with the handles.

dscn5546atyf2w.jpg dscn5521aukco6.jpg
Here's a quick mock-up installation with an Abit AB-LX6 (ATX, 304x204 mm, 1997). This case excepts EATX, although this form factor would be a tight fit indeed. I'd classify it as a compact EATX midtower given its aggressively short length, especially if you consider the use of traditional drive bays. The case appears to have been inspected in 2010. It has an abundance of mounting holes for different form factors and devices, some of which need to be plugged with larger female-male standoffs (they're provided). You'll see the sheer number of holes when we get to the back of the case.

dscn5492aq4c5q.jpg dscn5491a0ydyq.jpg dscn5493aydd35.jpg
I'm not sure what cards or devices would fill the ~340mm gap to the card keeper. The card keeper cage, sitting next to the mammoth (56mm diameter!) built-in speaker, is easily removable. The built in-bracket above the expansion slots is for a missing accessory: a long card-keeping plate that runs the entire length of the case. One side of this plate hooks in above the expansion brackets, while the other side slides into the side of the pictured card keeper. The SR20503 shares a chassis with the SR20502 and SR20503, so perhaps it's included with those other cases.

dscn5514ac1ifh.jpg dscn5499aucd97.jpg
The 3.5" bay hooks into the bottom of the 5.25" bay via a piece that slides across the width of the 3.5" bay. After disengaging the hook and removing a screw, the 3.5" bracket is blocked from removal by the long support beam which runs the length of the case. Removing two screws allows the beam to be removed.

dscn5500atqcvk.jpg dscn5501aevdck.jpg
After most things are removed, the inside looks like this. If I were routing wires behind the motherboard, I would expand the hole in the lower left. Such routing, as you will see, is not possible.

dscn5495aowf1c.jpg
The naked front: speaker holes on the bottom-left, 120mm fan intake holes on the bottom-right, 80mm fan intake holes on the middle-left, and general intake holes on the middle-right. The 5.25" internal covers can be reattached with screws, which is not something I often see. Note that the button panel can easily be moved to the upper left, if only there were holes in the bezel for it. The upper-right button location is used by the SR20505, along with a significantly different bezel.

dscn5502auzcqi.jpg dscn5504akofzz.jpg
The back of the case. This case was not designed for behind-the-tray cable management. You can maybe fit a molex connector behind there, completely flush with the surface, if you can find a way to secure it without adding any height whatsoever.

dscn5508avxdgp.jpg dscn5509ayue0r.jpg dscn5506auheao.jpg dscn5507afji1a.jpg
Let's take a look at the construction of the case. There is not single rivet or screw holding the internal frame together; everything looks like it's been spot welded. For a second, I thought they might have used a cold weld of some kind, but then I saw the underside of the PSU support attachment.

dscn5511a94flu.jpg
Here is the rear, and the first of two major problem areas with this case. This is a server case, meant to accommodate two side-by-side, redundant PSUs with the PSU mounting plate removed. The plate thus allows use of more traditional desktop PSUs. However, unlike with PSU mounting plates on modern desktop variants, the PSU must still be inserted from the inside of the case. I recommend leaving it attached to the case and securing it like you normally would with cases that lack a mounting plate.

dscn5539ajpf7v.jpg dscn5538ap2fdy.jpg
The deal breaker for me is the substantial restriction of the PSU intake fan: approximately two-thirds of a typical 120mm intake is blocked! Traditional PSUs with 80mm front intakes should work fine, but these are becoming increasingly hard to find in good condition. The profile of the mounting plate will also be restrictive for any modern PSU with a full profile grill exhaust.

dscn5522auid1z.jpg
This brings me to the second major problem area of this case: mounting bay devices. All 3.5" floppy drives I tested fit perfectly in the two FDD slots of the 3.5" bay; here you see Mistumi and Samsung floppies lining up nicely. The bottom three HDD slots also fit my IDE Seagate Barracuda IVs perfectly. Both my Toshiba CD-ROM (IDE, 1996, XM-5602B) and my "shorty" DVD (SATA, 2008, SH-S203) perfectly fit the attachable case rails and slid nicely into the non-removable 5.25" bay. My SATA-IDE adapter (JP103-5, recommend by Phil) also fit comfortably in the 5.25" bay on my DVD drive.

dscn5529as3cxw.jpg
However, most modern devices and accessories I tried had mounting problems. The popular Gotek Floppy Emulator wouldn't fit in the FDD slots of the 3.5" bay without the top of the front slamming into the bezel. It's difficult to see here, but the mounting holes were too high on the Gotek, so the rear of the drive had to be tilted down to get the crucial middle hole lined up. This caused the front of the drive to lift up and slam into the front bezel when it was attached. Yes, I could make it fit, but with more stress on the bezel and drive than I'm comfortable with. My 3.5" to 2.5" adapters for an SSD (the Sabrent BK-HDDH above and a Lian Li HD-323) also had holes that were too high for 3.5" bay slots. Even if bracket adapters fit the 3.5" bay, it seems unlikely that SATA-IDE adapters on the SDD drives themselves (like the JP103-5) would.

dscn5537a1df0h.jpg
I tried a cheap, plastic 5.25" to 3.5" adapter to put the Gotek in the 5.25" bay, but the Gotek's mounting holes were still too high. The only way to attach it was by using different adapter holes that sucked the Gotek's face back into the drive. Attaching the case rails to the adapter, meanwhile, was only possible using the front set of adapter holes; the adapter holes didn't line up with the rail holes at the ideal points. Similarly, a Lian Li 5.25" to 2.5" adapter (HD-520) that I used for SDD mounting had holes that were too high for the rails to attach anywhere.

Initial Thought Summary

Good

• Retro-ish bezel
  • Efficient cooling (probably) with large intakes and exhaust compared to Windows 98-era cases
  • Solid construction with thick steel and no rivets
  • Compatibility (probably) with Windows 98-era hardware

Bad

• No behind-the-tray cable management
  • PSU mounting plate restricts exhaust

Ugly

• PSU bottom intake mostly blocked, 80mm front-intake PSUs increasingly harder to find
  • Gotek Floppy Emulator, certain 5.25" and 3.5" adapters won't fit in case bays without modification

My list of wanted hardware

Reply 1 of 4, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the writeup. I was thinking about buying one of these actually. They look well built and sturdy.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 4, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also used a Chenbro SR209 for retro build I like that one a lot better but I never tried the one your talking about here are some picture. Note I put woodgrain on it

20180911_095833_min.jpg
Filename
20180911_095833_min.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20180911_095839_min.jpg
Filename
20180911_095839_min.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
20180911_095849_min.jpg
Filename
20180911_095849_min.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 4, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Demonslayer2103 wrote:
I also used a Chenbro SR209 for retro build I like that one a lot better but I never tried the one your talking about here are s […]
Show full quote

I also used a Chenbro SR209 for retro build I like that one a lot better but I never tried the one your talking about here are some picture. Note I put woodgrain on it

20180911_095833_min.jpg
20180911_095839_min.jpg
20180911_095849_min.jpg

The SR209 is another retro-looking option that is available for the same price as the SR20503, yet there appear to be key differences. On one hand, bottom-intake PSUs are not blocked; this alone may make the SR209 worth getting over the SR20503. One the other hand, if the card keeper bracket cannot be removed and the bottom fan cannot be mounted directly to the chassis, the front intake of the SR209 will be much more restrictive. As for the bezel, I like the look, although I find the lack of dedicated 3.5" bays less retro for '98 builds, and the two LAN LED indicators reveal it a server, if you are going for a desktop look.

edit: Another member did a build in the SR209 here. Tom's did a review here.

Reply 4 of 4, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wasn't ready to give up on her just yet. I removed most of the PSU tray for use with bottom-intake PSUs and added a bracket to compensate for lost support. While I had the dremel out, I also removed the fan grills.

dscn5510a6gfvr.jpgdscn5598ad0dt4.jpg
dscn5596akyi7a.jpg
dscn5539ajpf7v.jpgdscn5604akze89.jpg
dscn5605ay8css.jpg
In keeping with the construction style of the case, the bracket was "cold welded" on, instead of riveted or screwed.

ba_front54fow.jpg

ba_rear23fm5.jpg
dscn5608aceevr.jpg
Zero obstruction on the rear exhaust, at least with the Antec fan that I will be using.