VOGONS

First post, by digitalx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my never ending quest for fully functional Win98 PC I bought I am having troubles reading discs.

I have an Nvidia Riva TNT2 inside and it's stuck in 16bit colour 640x480 or something similar and all games either refuse to install or play. I have a stack of discs I found but they are all finalized so cannot burn the graphics card drivers onto them.

I have USB Sticks but WIn98 has no native support for them, I have seen the mass support drivers but no way of getting them onto this machine. I have a new DVD Drive in the mail in case it's that causing the issues.

Push comes to shove, is to get it online and yes I know the risks nowadays of doing so.

Is there anything else I can try? I know it's beating a a dead horse messing with Win98 but I enjoy it and old tech.

Game discs read fine, burnt discs on my Win10 machine do not, why would that be? I have found ONE disc it will read and I can see and move contents to the desktop. It is a "Signalex DVD-R 8x 4.7GB" so I may buy some more.

Reply 1 of 5, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One thing you can try doing is burning the discs on your Win10 machine at a slower speed, if you can. I have read in the past doing this can help improve the readability of burned optical media on older computers. Quick research suggests that switching to DVD+R probably wouldn't work since +R media apparently has more compatibility issues with older hardware, but it might be worth a try if you haven't already. You could also try burning CDs instead of DVDs, those tend to have better compatibility with pre-XP systems from my personal experience, but that could be a fluke based solely on the model/revision of DVD drive in the old computer.

If you have (or can get) a USB floppy drive and some disks, you can connect it to the Win10 machine and use that to copy the USB mass storage driver onto the Win98 machine, since it is small enough to fit on a floppy disk.

Reply 2 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old CD drives don't like burned CDs. To improve compatibility, burn them as slow as your burner allows you to.

This website http://www.win3x.org/win3board/index.php have some drivers available (including the universal USB driver for windows 98) and it works really well with old browsers (you can even use it in Windows For Workgroups 3.11 with IE4 !).

To get it online without any disk except the Windows 98 CD, a NIC from a good brand released before 1998/1999 should do the trick (like a 3com etherlink III ISA, a 3com Etherlink XL PCI, an NE2000 compatible NIC, an old intel NIC ...)

You shouldn't have any issues at connecting an old PC on the internet, old viruses are long gone, most websites won't even load, hackers aren't targetting these oses anymore and you I bet you won't store any critical data on here anymore.

The worst a virus can do to your old PC is to erase your BIOS, but your motherboard should have a jumper preventing any write to the EEPROM, just put it in the correct position and you should be fine. And if it's too late, it's still recoverable with an EEPROM flasher.

Nowadays, you're more likely to get virusses out of old floppy disks (I've met 2 or 3 DOS virusses on 5"1/4 floppy disks so far) rather than from the internet (0 virusses since at least the mid 2010's, and my computers get connected frequently)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 5, by digitalx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I'll look for some cheapy CD's thanks.

Looking at the machine it does have a floppy drive but not on my Win10 machine, so 1/2 way there!

Thanks. How do I burn at a slow speed? It has been years since I remember doing it. Does windows have an option for that? Simple thing I know..

Reply 4 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use a custom CD burning program like IMGBurn and select the burning speed from there

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative