VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I bought a cheap-o computer case to do a Windows 98 build in.

The case is missing spots for two standoffs that I need for my motherboard. There is no standoff hole dead center of the board or in the upper right corner, which is the most concerning.

Would plastic spacers / standoffs like these work to help support the board? Are these plastic spacers/standoffs a standard size? I can get them cheap on eBay, but I want to make sure they will fit.

Thanks.

This is what I am talking about:

Attachments

• spacer2.jpg
    Filename
    spacer2.jpg
    File size
    13.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those come in a couple different lengths. They also used to come with some cases, both with, and without the threaded portion.

I have used the plastic standoffs without threads before, but it is not really the best way to go about it.

If it were me, I would just drill and tap holes in the case where you need them and use standard standoffs.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 2, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only need them for 2 out of 7 mounting holes on the motherboard so if they fit, I don't see a problem. Also, the mounting spots that the case does have for standoffs are slightly raised. Therefore, if I just drilled a hole into the case, that hole would be lower than the rest of the holes and the standoffs would be at different heights, which would not work.

Just looking at the plastic spacer, it seems like it should work, but I can't really tell until I have it in hand. As I can get 10 of them for less than $2 shipped on eBay, I think I'll just take the risk...