VOGONS

First post, by GadgetBlues

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Intel Zappa socket 5 motherboard has no PS/2 ports. It was available optionally with PS/2 ports (and the BIOS supports PS/2 ports) but mine has just a single AT keyboard port. I'm currently using a Microsoft dove bar serial mouse but it would be nice to have something optical.

My memory is fuzzy about InPort cards -- they weren't the same as PS/2 correct? I mean, there were specific InPort mice that only worked on those cards and vice versa? Is there anything that will give me a PS/2 port? Or any adapter to connect a USB or PS/2 mouse? I can't use a USB card since I'm running Win3.11.

thanks!

Reply 1 of 11, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the connector for the PS/2 mouse port there? Maybe you can just solder one in.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 2 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can buy brand new optical serial mice off of eBay for pretty cheap. They do, however, require the special gridded mouse pad that come with them.

The other option is to use a Raspberry Pi and a USB to Serial adapter and thus make a USB to Serial mouse adapter.
See this post for a link to the project on Github:
USB to serial mouse adapter - Raspberry Pi

You could also build a PS2 to serial adapter, but the Pi method is going to be a whole lot simpler/quicker and you will have a much wider range of mice available if you use USB.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 11, by GadgetBlues

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

Is the connector for the PS/2 mouse port there? Maybe you can just solder one in.

There is, but the installed AT connector straddles the PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse locations, so I would have to remove it and mount both PS/2 ports. While that isn't out of the question, there could conceivably be other missing or different components required to have the ports work, and I don't see any Zappa boards for sale on eBay except from Russia at the moment so I don't want to take the chance.

Reply 4 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could always run extension wires for the PS/2 ports to somewhere else, even if you had to run the wires from the bottom of the board if the AT connector is physically blocking holes for the PS/2 ports.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GadgetBlues wrote:

While that isn't out of the question, there could conceivably be other missing or different components required to have the ports work,

AT keyboard connector is only mechanically different from PS/2 keyboard connector, so the parts for PS/2 keyboard port are certainly there (and the AT connector is most probably connected to the same PCB tracks as PS/2 keyboard would be).

First I'd try with wires connected to the bottom for PS/2 mouse before doing more invasive changes.

Reply 7 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't connect a PS/2 mouse to a keyboard port, so I don't see the point of your post. Don't get confused by those very late PS/2 combo ports used on some notebooks and office PCs until a few years ago. No such thing existed back then.

Reply 8 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

I have built three of these. Two are already promised to another member of this forum. The third one I wanna keep. I can tell you that they are fun to build, although already a bit advanced, since the PCB is very small and has a few SMD components. Also mine are not yet working. 😀 I only get a blinking red LED...

But IF they start working I think they are a very nice solution. Especially since you can mount them on a nice 3D printed bracket inside of the computer case.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 11 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PS/2 doesn't operate on ISA resources. It needs to be provided by the keyboard controller, south bridge, or other element of the chipset (although it's definitely a different port).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder