VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone.

What would be the ultimate PCI Controller card (possibly caching controller) for DOS/Win for workgroup 3.11 for both:

• IDE CF or SD cards (via IDE to CF or to SD adapter)
• SATA

For the SATA option, besides the controller, what's the best affordable sata ssd that one can use in such a type of computer? As you can imagine, size is the last thing that is needed, even 4 GB or 8 GB would be more than great. I just wouldn't have to pay for an 80 GB or even 120 GB or more SSD.

Thanks

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 4, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could get a SATA to IDE adapter, those are cheap. There are a bunch of 16GB SATA SSDs under $15 on ebay

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 4, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

you could get a SATA to IDE adapter, those are cheap. There are a bunch of 16GB SATA SSDs under $15 on ebay

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought that cheap.

Well, having to also pick a controller, at this point I'd pick a PCI SATA controller, as long as it is fully compatible (meaning it can draw all its claws) with DOS and Windows 3.11

And .... what controller???

Reply 4 of 4, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

If you use Flash-based storage, a cache controller makes no sense. Just use one that supports DMA / Bus Mastering.

I see your point, however, I'd have 2 reasons behind the caching controller:

• Emotional: For the fun of it (it was one of my biggest dreams as a kid, unaffordable, never owned one)
• Technical: although flash memories and basic SSDs are very fast compared to HDDs, they are not if compared to DRAM modules, which remain way faster and more responsive