VOGONS

First post, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lately I've been using an old computer (P133, Gigabyte GA-586HX) that I built new back in university as my retro dos computer. I pulled it out of my parent's basement earlier this year, and while it worked fine, the case was a yellowed, beaten-up, rusty mess. So I recently acquired a very nice new-in-box AT tower case, complete with power supply and a 3-digit turbo display for $20 and proceeded to move the gubbins from the cruddy old case to the shiny new one. I turned it on, and it started up and ran fine except for one major problem.... the keyboard doesn't work. The computer recognises that there is a keyboard attached as I don't get any post errors. The keyboard lights work. If I press the num lock the keyboard light turns on and off. But the computer does not acknowledge any key presses. I can't even press DEL to enter the bios. I've tried several different keyboards with the same result, and I've tried removing everything possible, re-seating the memory, etc. I can't see any obvious problems with the thing.

Before I dismantle the whole thing and start going over the motherboard with a magnifying glass and a soldering iron (I was thinking of re-soldering the keyboard port), I figured I would ask if anyone can think of any stupid obvious things I may have overlooked. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 3, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

try removing the mobo from the case and do a barebones keyboard + video boot, see if it works out of the case... it will let you know if the case is shorting something or if the issue is on the mobo

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 3, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh jeeze. It just occurred to me that my new case has a keylock that I had to wire it up because the power LED connector and keylock connectors were attached. The old case didn't have a keylock.

I never checked to see if the case keylock was on or off.