VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I found a real cheap 486DX4-100 complete PC with original time correct components, verticale AT generic case 200w supply, generic SIS 85C496/7 chipsets with 3 PCI and 4 ISA, probably 2x4mb simm, 0,5gb maxtor disk, a generic CD-ROM drive, a SIS 86c201 PCI VGA and a Sound Blaster ct2910 isa sound card. Still have to try it but it looks perfect so i hope it will boot.
For a very fast DOS based machine which VGA would you choose? Isa or pci considering DOS games?

Thank

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A 486, especially faster model deserve fast bus speed. Guess why VLB appeared on 486s ? ^^

ISA is for 386s and lower. Even a TSeng ET4000 AX on ISA is twice as slow as VLB video card (except if I oc ISA way out of spec, but I doubt running ISA cards that fast is safe anyways xD).

And this chipset have a great implementation of PCI so it should perform well. Actually I have a motherboard with that exact same chipset (running an AMD 5x86 (aka 486 DX5)) and well it's nice.

However you might want to have another video card, SiS never did fast video chipsets.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCI, if it were something like a 486sx-25 you might not see much difference but a DX4-100 can make good use of the extra speed in more demanding dos games.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 4 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI it is. I have:

Riva128 4mb PCI
Matrox Millennium PCI
Matrox Mystique PCI
S3 Virge DX PCI
Matrox mga mil-2b is-storm r2 PCI
Cirrus logic gd5446bv PCI

Maybe the Millennium more time correct still high end? The riva128 seems too much without win95.

The battery is the modern ones. Finally after all the problems i had with the old ones...

Reply 5 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the riva 128 is too new indeed, as for the rest, I guess you can pick the one you prefer/that is the most compatible. I'm not sure if there'll be much difference in their performance (maybe some benchmark will show the opposite ?)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I imagine the Matrox choice will be a good one.
For windows 95 instead which 2d/3d combination would you choose? I have a Voodoo1/2 PCI, also a Matrox M3d even if it will need a much faster cpu just like the Riva128 will need.