VOGONS

First post, by gryffinwings

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, I was looking at a cheap upgrade and found Atech and Komputerbay 2GB kits of DDR PC2100 ram for pretty cheap, has anyone used these?

Main Computer: Custom - Intel 12900K, Asus Nvidia 3080 Ti, 64 GB DDR5.
Retro Computer: Packard Bell Legend I - AMD 286, 640KB RAM
Retro Computer: Dell Dimension 4400 - Pentium 4 2.8 GHz FSB 400 MHz, ATi Radeon 9600XT, Sound Blaster Live!, 768 MB RAM.

Reply 1 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trash!

Use OEM brands like Hynix, Samsung, Micron/Cruical, Elpida, etc.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 9, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with Pentiumspeed on the brand issue.

I don't see any reason to buy PC-2100 RAM. That is 266MHZ, which is only in the slowest of DDR systems. The fast stuff can always downclock, and it will be valuable if overclocking in a slower system.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 9, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gryffinwings wrote:

Hey guys, I was looking at a cheap upgrade and found Atech and Komputerbay 2GB kits of DDR PC2100 ram for pretty cheap, has anyone used these?

I have used Atech in the past a few times. It's usually when I am looking for obsolete RAM for a retro system, such as PC100, PC133, DDR1, etc. I have had no problems so far.

Reply 4 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a Komputerbay PC3-8500 kit off Ebazonegg(??), as it was the cheapest 8GB kit I could find for a non-mission critical machine. It's really bargain-basement stuff. Think ~1995 PC-Chips quality. I can't remember what chips are on it, but OS/X can't identify the manufacturer and I strongly suspect it's overclocked with hacked/modded SPD.

That said, it does what it's supposed to do & I haven't had any problems with it, but next time I'll spring the extra fifteen bucks for a cheap Crucial or Corsair kit. You get what you pay for.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I buy cheap DDR1 from ebay I stick with the 400 mhz variety so it works with all systems. Generally the cheapest RAM tends to have the worst timings, but not always. For a game system you probably want the better stuff is memory timings matter much to you but most people would not notice a few percent here or there.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 9, by gryffinwings

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:

I don't see any reason to buy PC-2100 RAM. That is 266MHZ, which is only in the slowest of DDR systems. The fast stuff can always downclock, and it will be valuable if overclocking in a slower system.

Brand issues huh, got it, I've never heard of Atech and Komputerbay, so that's why I ask, but I have found that Kingston DDR400 PC3200 is still listed on Amazon, that should still be decent memory.

fitzpatr wrote:

Only because the computer I am have built for old games for cheap uses DDR memory. But you're right I should go for DDR400 at least.

Unknown_K wrote:

When I buy cheap DDR1 from ebay I stick with the 400 mhz variety so it works with all systems. Generally, the cheapest RAM tends to have the worst timings, but not always. For a game system you probably want the better stuff is memory timings matter much to you but most people would not notice a few percent here or there.

I'll keep this in mind, it does make since to just get DDR400 PC3200.

Main Computer: Custom - Intel 12900K, Asus Nvidia 3080 Ti, 64 GB DDR5.
Retro Computer: Packard Bell Legend I - AMD 286, 640KB RAM
Retro Computer: Dell Dimension 4400 - Pentium 4 2.8 GHz FSB 400 MHz, ATi Radeon 9600XT, Sound Blaster Live!, 768 MB RAM.

Reply 7 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a couple 1GB DDR1 266 KomputerBay sticks that I pulled out of an industrial rackmount system because they were causing issues.

These pieces of trash actually have two RAM chips stacked on top of each other.

You can tell that that these are some sort of recycled sticks as the one chip on each of them obviously had some other sticker on them and they tried to rip the sticker off and place the Komputerbay sticker over them.

The white writing on the top layer of chips is also very obviously a remark because I can see the original engraving on the chips themselves. The top layer of chips are recycled Micron. Who knows what the bottom layer is.

STAY AWAY from Komputerbay !!!!!

Click for full-size

two_sticks.jpg
Filename
two_sticks.jpg
File size
878.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
label.jpg
Filename
label.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
stacked.jpg
Filename
stacked.jpg
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license
remarked.jpg
Filename
remarked.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license

My question is.. why are you even looking at buying new sticks of RAM?

eBay is overflowing with good, used RAM for super cheap. I literally have boxes of RAM laying around from a few large lots I bought for cheap.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 9, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What in the world?
I did had Komputerbay ram before with Samsung chips, but they were fine, I had no issues with them.
I wouldn't use them in systems that I often use but they were always fine for me to use in retro builds or thinclients.

Reply 9 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

These pieces of trash actually have two RAM chips stacked on top of each other.

I had some HP-branded ECC DDR1 sticks out of an EXPENSIVE dual-Xeon server that were built this way. I don't really know what that means. 😜

My Komputerbay DDR3 SODIMMs contain no such weirdness.

I'd bet anything they make "new" DIMMs by harvesting old chips from whatever they can get as e-waste. Nothing wrong with that in theory, as long as (a) your quality control is IRON-CLAD and (b) you're honest about it. Since they fail at (b), wanna guess how they score at (a)?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!