VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I have a nice ACR Globalyst 510 - 486DX2, with Award Modular Bios 4.50. It came with 520mb HDD, and works perfectly!
Recently, I decided to upgrade it with IDE CF adapter, with 1 or 2 GB CF card. I noticed, that Bios recogniz the correct size of CF cards, and even displays it in Bios chart in booting, however my dos (7.1) sees only 520 MB of any hddd connected to it. I tried multiple disk, reseting Bios, loading defaults bios values - always the same. Bios sees any hdd, but in dos there is only 520, and a lot of problems with folders (sector missing if you open it). I never experiance such a weird thing. Any ideas how to fix it?
Worst case scenario - leaving 520MB original hdd, but it would be nice to have CF in it 🙁

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is one of the BIOS HDD size limits. You'll need XTIDE or some DDO to overcome it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't have xtide, cause it has only one ISA slot, that I need for sound card!
What is that DD) thing?

EDIT: Found it! I installed EZ DDO and works like it should!
Thank You!

Last edited by Niezgodka on 2018-09-19, 04:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote:

What is that DD) thing?

Dynamic Drive Overlay, like Western Digital's EZ-BIOS. It allows use of Logical Block Addressing to overcome the 504MiB BIOS limitations of older PCs.

Niezgodka wrote:

It came with 520mb HDD, and works perfectly!

That 520MB hard drive is only 496MiB, which means it doesn't need LBA to see the full capacity.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 4 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote:

Thank You!

Enjoy your new larger-capacity, quicker drives!

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 5 of 5, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote:
I can't have xtide, cause it has only one ISA slot, that I need for sound card! What is that DD) thing? […]
Show full quote

I can't have xtide, cause it has only one ISA slot, that I need for sound card!
What is that DD) thing?

Thank You!

You apparently already solved the problem using DDO software, but just to remind you that utilizing XTIDE does not mean you need to spend an ISA slot. You can just burn the XTIDE firmware in an EPROM, insert it in the bootROM socket of a PCI NIC and you are ready to go.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000