VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 2 pci videocards that i am using with DOS. 1 pci videocard is TNT2 and the other card is a geforce 4 mx4000

with the tnt2 the image is sharp and whites are perfect.
with the geforce4, whites are more like "warm" with an slight yellow tint.

is this because of bad capacitors? or the bios is broken? can it be repaired?

like this one D_Q_NP_984966-MLA27829062599_072018-Q.jpg

Reply 2 of 7, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had an ati 9550 which had a similar problem after I removed the heatsink that was glued to the main chip. I accidentally did some very slight scratches on the chip's pcb and now the picture has a slight red tint. I don't know the exact cause (I feel it's not a cut PCB trace since all the three RGB components are there, just in an imbalanced way).

No swollen caps on your card ? have you looked at all the PCB traces ? No missing CMS ?

Reply 3 of 7, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All I can think of is either damage to the chip/chipset that *sends* the signals to the video connector, the traces between them, or bad solder joints on the connector itself.

Having a bad pin on a DB15 often causes color shifts because they send the color signal to the monitor. Usually that would be an emphasis on R, G, or B or a lack of one of them, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility for it to result in a yellowish tint.

Also, while this is unlikely, if you have a strangely compatible MAC PCI card in a PC, the older PCI Macs generally synced on the green signal, and PCs didn't. In my experience that results in a sort of teal screen, though. This shouldn't work at all, but I just took a Matrox Millenium out of a Mac and it worked on a PC (it might be a PC card in the first place, but it's hard to tell from the markings).

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 4 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something defaults to wrong color temperature? It happened to me in Windows once (incidentally with an ATI GPU), but can it even happen in DOS?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 7, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Merovign wrote:

Having a bad pin on a DB15 often causes color shifts because they send the color signal to the monitor. Usually that would be an emphasis on R, G, or B or a lack of one of them, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility for it to result in a yellowish tint.

I had a monitor with this problem in the mid 90s. It would wither tint everything yellow or tint everything magenta if the cable wasn't quite right. I left the db15 unscrewed from the video card (it wouldn't work to just screw it in all the way) and would reach back there to adjust it and clear things up anytime it drifted out of place.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 6 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd say it mostly depends on how much that tint is.

Consider the color temperature chart:
untitled%283%29.jpg
6500K is "normal". If your whites are tinted to look a bit like the 4000-5500K range, I'd say it's most likely a color temperature problem. For something like a discrete (R,G,B) channel problem (e.g., broken cable/monitor/pin), I'd expect a stronger tint, like on 3500K or below.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 7, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar problem once which was caused by a VGA cable missing pin 9. Somewhere in the chain it caused issues and everything was orange (or missing most of the blue). It was more obvious than a "slight yellow tint" however.

YouTube