VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I'm getting ready to assemble my dual xeon system and install LinuxMint on it (primary use is 3D gfx and video editing).
I'm confident that I'm going to want to be able to (hopefully easily) transfer files between it and my 286, 486, and K6-II systems which will be running DOS 6.22, Dos 6.22/WFW 3.11, and Win98se. yes, all machines have ethernet adapters and can access the network.

I'm trying to partition its drive correctly (it's been a long time); a swap partition, root partition, and maybe usr partition?
But should I create an NTFS, ExFAT, a FAT32 and/or FAT16 partition on the drive for the sake of those vintage OSes, to facilitate file transfers?

I can currently access my Win7 machines SMB shares under WFW 3.11. I'm hoping I can do the same thing with Samba under Linux, but I know Linux uses different filesystems, such as Ext4, BtrFS and XFS. Is there one of these I should use over the others since I intend networking with vintage systems? (oh, man, just realized I'm going to want to access it from my iMac g3, too...)

Anyone able to give me some advice before I start installing LinuxMint?

Reply 1 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just use "normal" filesystem (ext4 maybe) on my raspberry pi (used as a samba share for my old computers) and it works without any issues, except that you don't want to exceed 8.3 filenames for anything older than windows 9x or else instead of having "yourlongfilename" renamed to "yourlon~1" you'll get some garbled name (but you'll still be free to navigate through, only it's gonna be harder finding which file is which)

I never tried any other filesystem but I doubt it matters, that problem might be solvable with samba's config (though I don't know what, if you find it let me know !)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 6, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Samba doesn't care about the filesystem.
But to access from a dos/Win3.11 computer, you will have to ajust the config,
I didn't try from 3.11, but for a Win98 client I had to use "server max protocol = NT1" in the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf .

Using simply ftp is less problematic. There's a ftp client and also server provided by mtcp
http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

Reply 3 of 6, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mTCP's FTP server is wonderful. If you run it on your old machine, you can access it from a modern machine and transfer a lot of files very quickly as long as you keep things 8.3. It's so nice for backups.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 4 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nali wrote:

Samba doesn't care about the filesystem.

Samba cares about the file system in that it needs to be able to read it itself. Over the network, SMBFS *is* the filesystem you'll be accessing, so whatever is underlying is irrelevant.

I'd second the idea of running the file server on the old machines and the client on the 'server' - almost certainly it has a nicer UI or at the very least a vastly more powerful shell to work with.