VOGONS

First post, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I bought a soundblaster audigy 2 zs and all I can hear is static noise, this happens during boot up and is probably not the drivers plus it has a scratch on the back of it.

I emailed the seller for a refund

anyways I am still looking for a sound card, but I mean honestly do I really need one ? the dell dimension 4550 comes with onboard audio so I am questioning if all this is worth the hassle and expense of finding a soundcard that works

Reply 2 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Obvious question: what do you want/expect from your computer's sound capabilities?

The more modern you go, the less difference it makes outside of pro audio or audiophile circles, but that Dimension 4550 is old enough for onboard audio to be pretty crappy, and old enough you might want to run DOS or Win9x, in which case you're in a whole different ballgame and it's compatibility, not SNR or advanced EAX options that make the difference.

Reply 3 of 6, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

Obvious question: what do you want/expect from your computer's sound capabilities?

The more modern you go, the less difference it makes outside of pro audio or audiophile circles, but that Dimension 4550 is old enough for onboard audio to be pretty crappy, and old enough you might want to run DOS or Win9x, in which case you're in a whole different ballgame and it's compatibility, not SNR or advanced EAX options that make the difference.

I run mostly older windows games like morrowind, doom 3, diablo, arcanum etc games that have compatibility issues with modern games, if I want to rund dos games Ill run dosbox on it.

I already a refurbished bfg 6600gt for it so Im going for early to mid 2000's with older direct x games

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Creative cards have hardware acceleration, so they do actually help with performance and sound WAAAAAAAY better compared to whatever trash onboard audio codec the 4550 has built in.

Onboard audio didn't start getting better until just a few years ago.

I've been running Sound Blaster cards since early PCI days. Never once had an issue except for once and then I just had to move the card to a different slot.

Where are you located?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
The Creative cards have hardware acceleration, so they do actually help with performance and sound WAAAAAAAY better compared to […]
Show full quote

The Creative cards have hardware acceleration, so they do actually help with performance and sound WAAAAAAAY better compared to whatever trash onboard audio codec the 4550 has built in.

Onboard audio didn't start getting better until just a few years ago.

I've been running Sound Blaster cards since early PCI days. Never once had an issue except for once and then I just had to move the card to a different slot.

Where are you located?

the second pci slot I tried moving it to other ones and even without the drivers installed I got static, its the card
I guess thats what I get for buying one that was only 16.50

luckly new egg still has the card I may go for the xonar dg though

Reply 6 of 6, by gryffinwings

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS myself and do not have the mentioned symptoms, the scratch on the back could cause all sorts of issues with that card, I would just try and get another as they are actually pretty good cards and as you said to try and get a refund for the bad card.

Main Computer: Custom - Intel 12900K, Asus Nvidia 3080 Ti, 64 GB DDR5.
Retro Computer: Packard Bell Legend I - AMD 286, 640KB RAM
Retro Computer: Dell Dimension 4400 - Pentium 4 2.8 GHz FSB 400 MHz, ATi Radeon 9600XT, Sound Blaster Live!, 768 MB RAM.