VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys, I was wondering:

• I saw that there exist both Am386 DX-40 and DX/DXL-40. What's the difference? Which one is more performant?

• Will Am386 DX(DXL)-40 work on any 386 motherboard? I'm quite familiar on 486 motherboards, but I know nothing about 386 mobos bus limitations.

• I guess an Intel 80387 DX-33 Math FPU won't work well together with a 386 DX-40, right? Then, what kind of FPU should one pair with that?

Thanks!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know the answer for the first two questions, but for the last one, it's probably like on my 386SX : if you put a 80387DX-33 alongside a 40MHz CPU, it'll probably get overclocked to 40MHz, like my Cyrix fastmath 20 gets overclocked when used in my 386SX 25MHz

But that shouldn't be a big deal, 7MHz shouldn't hurt too bad.

And also, iirc Intel made a mechanism to desynchronize the FPU from the CPU, you should check that as well ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 13, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote:

• Will Am386 DX(DXL)-40 work on any 386 motherboard? I'm quite familiar on 486 motherboards, but I know nothing about 386 mobos bus limitations.

On one of my boards i just changed the clockcrystal so my dx40 was running at 40mhz.

Reply 3 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I don't know the answer for the first two questions, but for the last one, it's probably like on my 386SX : if you put a 80387DX-33 alongside a 40MHz CPU, it'll probably get overclocked to 40MHz, like my Cyrix fastmath 20 gets overclocked when used in my 386SX 25MHz
But that shouldn't be a big deal, 7MHz shouldn't hurt too bad.
And also, iirc Intel made a mechanism to desynchronize the FPU from the CPU, you should check that as well ^^

Interesting! Thanks! And, maybe, just to be on a safe side, I could somehow stick a heatsink on it, just in case...

McBierle wrote:

On one of my boards i just changed the clockcrystal so my dx40 was running at 40mhz.

Oh, is there a typo when you say "my dx 40"? I didn't understand what you mean...

OMGosh! what's this crystal thing? Where is it? How do I change it? Where do I buy a 40mhz crystal???? THANKS!!!

Reply 4 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DXL versions featured advanced power management functions and used less power. Apart from that, they are identical to their standard DX counterparts.

Many 386 motherboards allowed you to run your math co-processor asynchronously (i.e., at a different clock speed) than your CPU. Check the jumper settings for your motherboard. This should also tell you which frequencies (clock speeds) it supports.

Reply 5 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

The DXL versions featured advanced power management functions and used less power. Apart from that, they are identical to their standard DX counterparts.

Many 386 motherboards allowed you to run your math co-processor asynchronously (i.e., at a different clock speed) than your CPU. Check the jumper settings for your motherboard. This should also tell you which frequencies (clock speeds) it supports.

Ok, thanks!

Reply 6 of 13, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aries-mu wrote:

Took the opportunity and tested this JATON 386-DX-40 CPU module I got some months ago...

IMG_9699f.jpg
Filename
IMG_9699f.jpg
File size
190.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_9702b.jpg
Filename
IMG_9702b.jpg
File size
255.62 KiB
Views
File license

...in a really ancient 386 board:

IMG_9698r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9698r.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license

Powers on without problems.

Reply 7 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Took the opportunity and tested this JATON 386-DX-40 CPU module I got some months ago... […]
Show full quote
aries-mu wrote:

Took the opportunity and tested this JATON 386-DX-40 CPU module I got some months ago...

IMG_9699f.jpg
IMG_9702b.jpg

...in a really ancient 386 board:

IMG_9698r.jpg

Powers on without problems.

Woow man! That's great both for the thing itself and for the data provided!

THANKS!

Enjoy your beefed-up very ancient 386 board! 😁

Reply 8 of 13, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before disassembling again...

IMG_9704r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9704r.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_9705r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9705r.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license

...Am386 DX/DXL-40 also no problem 😀

Reply 9 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Before disassembling again... […]
Show full quote

Before disassembling again...

IMG_9704r.jpg
IMG_9705r.jpg

...Am386 DX/DXL-40 also no problem 😀

Wow! It seems to me that those older systems were more sturdy, flexible, and less pain with jumpers and stuff.

It'd be interesting to assess if it is running at 40 MHz or being downclocked!

Reply 11 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Too lazy to install a HD controller at the moment for diagnostics...but there is a 32MHz crystal, therefore it should run at 16MHz with all CPUs.

🤣 I understand you bro! 🤣

What's this crystal thing? The other guy above said he "replaced" it to have the system run at 40 MHz if I recall correctly. How can it be replaced? Where to buy a 40 MHz crystal? Why 16 MHz if your crystal is 32MHz? Do you mean the BUS?
What about the BUS with the 386 CPU at 40 MHz? Does the ISA bus run at 20 MHz if the 386 runs at 40 MHz? Does it require a 40 MHz crystal or 20 MHz crystal?

thanks man (sorry for the bunch of questions)

Reply 12 of 13, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want more information about clock frequency changes, check out this thread. Some motherboards are adjustable by jumper, and others require a changed crystal oscillator.

You can see the oscillator in the picture of my motherboard. The rectangular silver object immediately to the right of the third ISA slot.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 13 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote:

If you want more information about clock frequency changes, check out this thread. Some motherboards are adjustable by jumper, and others require a changed crystal oscillator.

You can see the oscillator in the picture of my motherboard. The rectangular silver object immediately to the right of the third ISA slot.

Oh so that's the famous crystal! Thank you so much!!!

OK, great info.