VOGONS

First post, by kwyjibo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I am in the following situation.

I have retrobrighted a PowerMac 9600 case. I have removed all the yellow shading but I think I went too far with the bleaching. If I am not wrong this case should match a tone between Pantone 420 C and Pantone 421 C but to the naked eye I think it is too white. Also the process has left some uneven results (only in small parts). (I will post some pictures later).

Now that I have all the pieces apart it would be really easy to paint it with the correct color (or a close match).

What would be the pros and cons:

Pros:

• Close color match
  • Even finish

Cons:

• Losing the genuine "PowerMac" front label.
  • I will not be able to remove the paint in the future
  • A think finish can be easily scratched
  • A think finish can hide the case "texture"

Yes, I know, maybe there is no correct answer, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Reply 2 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have painted plastic before and was usually happy with the result, but painting is always harder than I think it should be. If you can accept that the texture will be different and that the colour will probably turn out a little off (exact matching is almost impossible), then prepare it with a good clean and plastic primer, and then only paint in the right conditions. I.e. not too hot or too cold, and in a location that isn't dusty / windy.

I can't really speak to the durability - I had a media center in a C64 case that I painted and that help up OK in the lounge room with kids bashing on it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 6, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vinyl dye will sink into the plastics if you are worrying about scratches.

You can silkscreen Powermac on after painting.

Leave it be and hope it yellows a little with time so it won't be too white.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Vinyl dye will sink into the plastics if you are worrying about scratches.

Vinyl dye is great, I'm using it often, too. However, there's a catch: vinyl dye is only available in a very limited selection of colors. I don't think they make one that matches the PowerMac even roughly.