VOGONS

First post, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been given a thinkpad t42. The original hard drive had died and they replaced it with an ibm 10 gb hard drive.
Now i've swapped another hard drive from a toshiba laptop, a 60 gb hitachi travelstar drive. I've put another 20 gb fujitsu drive from a hp compaq in the satellite a20.
The t42 won't boot win xp now. I know that's to be expected but instead of getting the usual stop blue screen after windows starts loading i just get a black screen with a blinking cursor. Ctrl+Alt+Del works. The data in the drive can be accessed from a mini xp boot cd, also it passes hitachi drive fitness test but it won't boot.
The same thing happens on the toshiba, i've tried paragon adaptive restore there first without luck. I use that when i move hard disks to a different machine and motherboard. I've tried the boot repair option as well (besides adjusting the os) but it didn't help.
I don't want to erase the hard drive, i want to repair the windows installation. I don't know what's going on. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I've tried repairing the mbr from paragon (fixmbr now warns about non standard mbr) and then fixboot from the recovery console, even repairing the windows installation by reinstalling but still the same.
I'm not even sure that formatting the drive would work. The data is still fine. Is this some kind of bios limitation?

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 1 of 5, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's solved now, the ibm and toshiba bioses give different parameters for the hard disk so it's a geometry problem. It's not something affecting only late 486 and early pentiums. That's a shame of course.

https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 … 11796dd59d5a706

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 2 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thinkpads from that generation are famous for having the BIOS hardcoded to recognize only certain hard drives. I had a similar problem with a TP R52, only certain models of IBM drives would work in it.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

Thinkpads from that generation are famous for having the BIOS hardcoded to recognize only certain hard drives. I had a similar problem with a TP R52, only certain models of IBM drives would work in it.

I think you are referring to a different issue - the T43/R52/X41 series used a SATA-PATA bridge chip to connect IDE drives to the SATA controller. Since they could only validate certain drives, they decided to whitelist these drives in the BIOS. T42 should not have this limitation.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Possible. I have no experience with the T42, just pointed a possible problem with Thinkpads from a certain time frame.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O