VOGONS

First post, by TheFifthRace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Asus 486SV2GX4 with an AMD Am5x86-P75 and I can’t seem to get the L2 cache to work when I enable write back cache on the CPU. When I enable write back cache on the CPU system boots until it gets to the “Starting MS-DOS” screen and then freezes. The BIOS does detect the cache. If I disable the L1 cache in the BIOS the system will boot, but with cachechk it won’t detect any cache.

I put in an Intel DX2/66 CPU and it boots fine and the dos bench marks detects the L1/L2 cache (speedsys & cachechk) and seems to work ok. I’m perplexed as to why it freezes with the Am6x86-P75 with write back cache enabled on L1. If I switch the L1 cache to write-through it boots ok, but still doesn’t see the L2 cache.

I’ve tried completely different cache too in different combinations. I’ve tried three different sets of cache and sizes, so I don’t think it’s my cache chips that are bad. Here is a picture of my jumper settings.

YhJeKXM.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the motherboard "know" that CPU ? You may have to update your BIOS in order to use that CPU. On my Acer/Aopen AP43 it POSTed but then it hanged. I had to update my bios or configure the multiplier to 3x (so it's seen as a DX4) to go beyond

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the manual and comparing with your picture I see that you have the jumper settings for a Cyrix CPU. I think you should try using the AMD486DXL4 settings (with 2x clock multiplier in order to enable the internal 4x multiplier), but someone who has version 2.0 of the board can confirm the proper settings, as I have an earlier version (1.8 ) with different jumpers.

Reply 6 of 10, by AceTomato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hate to revive this, but I'm having a similar issue. I've scoured a few threads on this site where folks have discussed the issues with WB Cache on the VL/i-486sv2gx4, and still can't seem to get my jumper settings correct. My computer also freezes on the "loading ms-dos" step of the boot, and will only progress if I disable L2 Cache entirely within CMOS. Everything else works fine. It properly identifies as an am5x86, I've tried removing & replacing cards/ram/cache--no fix.

I've attached my current jumper settings highlighted in yellow--What am I missing?

Attachments

• Jumper.jpg
    Filename
    Jumper.jpg
    File size
    168.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 10, by TheFifthRace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you double check your cache jumper settings to make sure the cache matches those settings. I know mine will exhibit the same behavior if those settings are wrong. Can you take a picture like I did and post it? Lots of eyes are better than just two.

Reply 8 of 10, by AceTomato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well... I was about to, but it seems I spoke to soon. I pulled out ALL of the 128kx8 cache chips(1024k total) and replaced them with some smaller 32kx8 chips (256k total). I updated the jumper settings to reflect this, and it powers up no problem. The 128kx8 chips were those ISSI IS61C1024-10N chips--I'm not sure if they are even real. I've never found a datasheet for ISSI 10N chips, only 15N & higher....

I'm wondering now... How I could systematically go about finding which one (or more) of these chips are the culprit, or if I should just purchase an entirely new set of something more well known. Also, what is well known? I've no idea...

Edit/Update: I have a TL866II+ EEPROM programmer and was just playing around with these cache chips. Turns out, there's an option in the software to test SRAM. I chose "W24010" and ran all of my ISSI IS61C1024-10N chips through it---4 are bad. 4 of them are returning fails such as "03# addr.Bus Open Circuit Test Error" & "Data Bus Test Error".

Go figure, but there's my problem. I'll have to buy another batch and test all 9 to make sure they're good before installing. For now, I'm running on 256k of L2 cache.

Reply 9 of 10, by TheFifthRace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have IS61C1024-15N in mine. I remember reading something about the IS61C1024-10N and I wasn’t sure if those were real or not, so I went with the -15N. I ordered mine from China four or five years ago.