VOGONS

First post, by WileECoyote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello fellow retro hardware enthusiasts! I am having issues getting my DFI P5BV3+ Rev.B2 board to recognize my 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 IDE HDD. It will work with the 32GB jumper on but the BIOS will not recognize the drive w/o that jumper. I downloaded a few BIOS updates that stated they patched for "upto 128GB HDD support" but I haven't been able to get it to work. I've tried BIOS update from;

https://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/dfi.jsp
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-DFI-P5BV3-Rev-B-128GB

and there's a thread on here with a BIOS I also gave a try and that one actually froze at POST when auto detecting drives and inside the BIOS when trying to use it's Drive auto detection option. Here's the link to that threat.
SS7 DFI VIA P5BV3+ mobo, basic info.
I really need to find the CPU cooler in this thread 🤣.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do something else but to summarize what i've done
1: Installed drive w/o 32gb jumper..... wouldn't recognize HDD
2: Added 32GB Jumper.... Hard Drive recognized (32GB of course)
3: downloaded "32gb enabled" BIOS from "Wimbios.com"..... BIOS worked but still only recognizes drive with 32gb jumper
4: Tried another BIOS from "bios-modes.com"...... same results
5: Found the thread on here on a past build and downloaded the BIOS he used...... The machine froze at POST during Drive(s) auto detection and in BIOS when trying to auto detect drives
6: reverted back to thw Wimbios.com BIOS.... of course, still no 120GB HDD detection, only 32gb with the jumper on

Any help would be appreciated as I would really prefer to have access to the full drive
Oh I have been using just a standard 40 pin IDE cable with the HDD as master and a 24x CD-rom drive as slave.

Many thanks in advanced,
Wile E. Coyote

Reply 1 of 8, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might have a stack of CDs somewhere. I haven't used this board in years (I had the Rev. B+ version), and I'll let you know if I do have the BIOS on a CD and if I still have it. Clear the CMOS data and try again. Sometimes, when the new BIOS is flashed, it doesn't get erased. Or flash the BIOS again and add the parameter to erase the CMOS data.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 8, by WileECoyote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks bjwil1991! I tried clearing the CMOS via jumper, that didn't help so I tried reflashing with the /cc switch, still the same 🙁
So I decided to try uniflash instead of awdflash but that didn't help either.
Here's a pic of what I get when i try to boot after flashing w/o the 32gb limit jumper installed

The fact that it says ata 100 and 136GB is intriguing...

Attachments

• 20180926_172906.jpg
    Filename
    20180926_172906.jpg
    File size
    730.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps try an 80-wire IDE cable... technically the 40-wire ones are good only for up to ATA-33. (Some MBs/BIOSes will detect this at POST and recommend replacing the cable, but perhaps your board doesn't do this).

Reply 4 of 8, by WileECoyote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

Perhaps try an 80-wire IDE cable... technically the 40-wire ones are good only for up to ATA-33. (Some MBs/BIOSes will detect this at POST and recommend replacing the cable, but perhaps your board doesn't do this).

That's what is confusing to me. The board only support up to DMA33. I'll try the 80-pin anyways, because why not 🤣. Thank you for your suggestion.

Reply 5 of 8, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WileECoyote wrote:

The board only support up to DMA33.

Oh, I missed that... bah. Still worth a try anyway, and it's interesting indeed that the BIOS displays "ATA 100" despite not supporting it...

Reply 6 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@WileECoyote, maybe a longshot but have you tried any IDE drive other than the 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 - these have previously reported compatibility issues with some controllers.

Also, think the CPU cooler in the other link is a Cooler Master HHC-001

Reply 7 of 8, by WileECoyote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

@WileECoyote, maybe a longshot but have you tried any IDE drive other than the 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 - these have previously reported compatibility issues with some controllers.

Also, think the CPU cooler in the other link is a Cooler Master HHC-001

Awesome, thank you! Now I just need to find one of those CM HHC-001 haha. I have an 80gb WD I'll give it a shot.

Reply 8 of 8, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:
WileECoyote wrote:

The board only support up to DMA33.

Oh, I missed that... bah. Still worth a try anyway, and it's interesting indeed that the BIOS displays "ATA 100" despite not supporting it...

There are tools from hard drive manufacturers to limit max UDMA mode supported by drive.
Some motherboards tries to set drive for max supported mode, while it doesn't support it by itself. This may cause problems.
Try to find tool for your harddrive.

BTW. "32GB patch" means that drive support drives above 32GB (up to 80GB). You may try Bios Patcher from www.rom.by to overcome 80GB limitation.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA