VOGONS

First post, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The win 98se installation is not working on my sd cards
Tried on fdisk-okay on 8 and 16gb sd cards
After the first cehcking for errors on win98se setup stuck at "Copying fiels need for windows setup..)
Another card show "bad file allocation" message.
The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-6vtx 1.2
I have used a 8gb Kingston brand new sd card and Sandisk 8 and 16GB.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 1 of 3, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using an IDE to SD card adapter, or some form of external USB card reader? (this includes front panel SD card readers that attach to front panel USB headers.)

Also, I would not recommend using SD cards for storage on an old system like that at all, even with an IDE to SD card adapter. The best option would really be an HDD (at least in my opinion), but if you're really a stickler for silent, speedy storage, a standard Compact Flash to IDE adapter would be better, as the Compact Flash cards (the older, first gen standard ones, at least) natively support IDE/ATAPI (they use what is basically a miniature form of IDE to communicate). Older motherboard may not like an internal IDE to SD card converter as much as they would a Compact Flash card to IDE converter. I've seen people use Compact Flash card solutions on motherboards as old as Socket 3 486 systems.

Where am I?

Reply 2 of 3, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
athlon-power wrote:

Are you using an IDE to SD card adapter, or some form of external USB card reader? (this includes front panel SD card readers that attach to front panel USB headers.)

IDE to sd adpter.
Tested now with a good ide HD. Same problem. I gonna test on another system (LGA 775).

I think that problem on board mother. It's taking a long time to format 40 gigabytes. I used the same thing yesterday and it did not take that long

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.

Reply 3 of 3, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally managed to make the adptador work!
Installed win 98SE on ASUS P3v133 + pentiumII 400 MHz+ awe64 value. No lock ups during the setup. Tested Duke 3d and the crappy War Gods. Both worked fine.
The Gigabyte GA-6vtx 1.2 definitely has problem on IDE controller. Tried more 2 IDE hdd and both stucked at setup of win 98Se and in the win xp pre setup show error code 7.