VOGONS

First post, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the FIC VB601 Intel 440 BX slot 1 motherboard any good?

I am having problems with my Intel SE440BX-2, and I can buy the FIC mobo new.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 4, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The computer started to abruptly turn off, after maybe 20 minutes of use. Now, it will not turn on at all. The power LED turns on for a second and then turns off. I tried replacing the PSU, memory, and video card.

Could be the processor but I don't have a spare.

Researching the FIC VB601, the motherboard can be Intel 440BX or Via Apollo Pro. Depending on the revision of the board there may be a CPU limit of Pentium 2 and BIOS HDD limit of 32 GB.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SE440BX-2 is my pick of the BX motherboards, Standard Intel Rock solid instead of overclocking.
I would get a cheap PII whatever as a test, although my money is on needing to recap the motherboard if the PSU's already been swapped out
After that something in the Asus P2B family gets my vote as they are built well and fairly common.
other BX motherboards are ok, its just the quality of the caps will vary between manufactures, I'm not sure which ones FIC used.

I would stick with the BX chipset though, only if your using a 133 FSB would I consider non Intel chipset

Reply 4 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I liked the BX-2, although a little bit of BIOS flexibility for downclocking would have been great.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder