VOGONS

First post, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Longtime lurker here feeling the need to trouble you fine fellows with my problems 😕

First of all, the hardware:

P2B-DS rev 1.06, BIOS 1014 beta 003
2 x MS-6905 ver 2
2 x P3 900/256/100 SL4SD [stepping C0]

Now, I'm very much under the impression the above combination of gear should happily boot with both CPUs available. However, something is preventing the desired outcome.

I have tried various combinations of the J3 single/dual processor jumper.

• With both set to dual the board will not post.
    With both set to single the board stops posting during or after the memory check - I've tried alternative ram, makes no difference.
    With either set to dual and the other set to single the board will detect 1 processor.

Both CPUs are usable singly in either slot and attached to either slotket.

I have also tried a pair of 800/256/133 SL4CD CPUs, with the same results.

The board came with twin 700/256/100 slot 1 CPUs and the board recognizes both and will boot in dual CPU mode.

I am vexed to say the least. Is one of the slotkets faulty? All opinions, guidance and sympathy welcome.

Reply 1 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would have thought the MS-6905 Master ver 2 would work.

This copy paste from some Asus P2B-DS FAQ recommends using the Asus Slotket.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Q: What cpus can I use in a dual configuration in a P2B-D/-DS/-D2? Are there other dual cpu issues?
A: The Celeron Coppermine as well as the Tualatin PIII is not dual capable and will not work in a dual cpu setup. The Coppermine PIII (both fcpga/slot1) is dual capable as well as the Tualatin PIII-S and the Celeron ppga (this one only inofficially). The old Slot1 Celerons are not dual capable neither.
Keep in mind not only the cpus must be dual capable, but also the slotket! There are quite a lot of slotkets which are dual capable, but most of them only work in dual mode with the Celeron ppga. The only slotket certified for dual fcpga operation is the Asus S370-DL, some people also claim success with the Abit slotket III.
If you plan on using Windows XP / 2000 in ACPI mode (instead of standard mode) there is also a hardware bug present on most revisions of these boards which you probably need to fix (only if you use 2 cpus, and do this only if you're experienced in soldering SMD parts). More information can be found, as always, at asus.de (in german).
Asus used to fix the boards, but probably the warranty of your board has expired.
Historically there a lot more reported issues with cpu upgrades with dual processor configurations than with single processor configurations, but it is possible this is only due to the use of inappropriate slotkets.

___________________________________________________________________________________

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 8, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

I would have thought the MS-6905 Master ver 2 would work.

Yes they should. In fact there was recently an ebay listing for basically the same setup in working order - the only difference being the bundle on sale was using twin 1000/256/100 SL5QV CPUs. I even tried setting all jumpers to exactly the same positions on the mobo and both slotkets as shown in the listing photos. Computer said no.

Reply 3 of 8, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Old thread but just in case someone seeks update on this matter: there needs to be a jumper wire soldered from N33 to single/dual jumper pin 3 and jumper set to 1-2, then it recognizes both CPU's.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 4 of 8, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awakening again...
I was making some plans in mind. Want to build exactly such a dual tualatin setup with an ASUS P2B DS and 2 1,4ghz tualatin CPUs. But looks like it is somehow difficult to get it work?!... Are there any experiences of successful builds?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 5 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one with older VRMs and onboard scsi that i didn't build for same reasons, i think it will take 450mhz so ya. Maybe one day i'll consider undertaking all for the solder rework to get it usable. but considering all of the other computers i have it doesn't seem worth my time.

Reply 7 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dual tualtins, wont work on my board becasue it is 1.04 I can just do duall copermine with simple mod. If you want dual Taulitins you need board revision that will have VRM that can do that, or solder new VRMs on. Then you need good slocket revision or modded slockets 😵

Reply 8 of 8, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Paadam wrote:

Old thread but just in case someone seeks update on this matter: there needs to be a jumper wire soldered from N33 to single/dual jumper pin 3 and jumper set to 1-2, then it recognizes both CPU's.

Just found your reply - thanks for the info, I'll look into this when real life allows (I left the machine with it's original slot 1 CPUs and set it up multi-booting NT4, 2K and Ubuntu 4.10, btw).