VOGONS

First post, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the motherboard from the title (Biostar MB-1212C, 286, SCAT chipset). It has 1M onboard RAM (2 banks of 512K, populated with 44256 chips) and also has 4 SIPP sockets for max 4MB.

It works fine with the onboard RAM. But if I remove the onboard chips and add 2MB or 4MB to the SIPP sockets, it doesn't boot anymore. If I leave the onboard chips and add SIPP memory, it will recognize the onboard memory but nothing else. If I add a memory card, configured to add extended memory from 1MB up, it will not recognize it.

I wonder if it's a BIOS problem, as it has a much different BIOS from what I found online, such as the pictures here: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/biosta … -286-1846660577

My BIOS setup looks like this:
image.jpg (this is the pic from the seller but it's accurate)
And from there it's a series of small popup boxes. They allow me to set clock speeds for DMA, bus etc as well as wait states for the DMA and onboard RAM, but not much else.

I've looked online for alternative BIOS files for this motherboard but have found none. Does anyone here have a BIOS for this that I could try? I have EPROMS and a programmer.

Can I try BIOS files from another motherboard that uses the same chipset I wonder. I have found here http://chukaev.ru54.com/bios_en.htm file 2ctc001.zip which is from a "GW-286CT GEAR" which has the same C&T F82C235 SCAT chip.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 1 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FWIW I'm attaching the BIOS that I dumped from the motherboard. Will try the file in my previous post soon.

(edit) the bios from the GW-286CT works in this motherboard, but it still doesn't detect the extended memory. Still testing.
FWIW this motherboard can take flash chips instead of EPROM, I used a Winbond 27C512 instead of the original Microchip 27C512 and it works.

(edit2) even with the new BIOS, no go with either the SIPP memory or the ISA memory cards. 🙁
Just finished going through several memory cards with the testext program, no memory is detected on either.

Attachments

• Filename
    biostar mb-1212c.7z
    File size
    29.06 KiB
    Downloads
    90 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn it. I still can't get it to boot with memory only in the SIPP slots. I even used one of those ISA diagnostic cards which is completely useless, it gives me a few error codes which in the documentation show as "reserved" and which are in fact identical to the codes it displays on a successful boot. The only useful information I get is 3 short beeps at boot. The BIOS is a C&T one, there is no other trademark anywhere - but if it was in fact AMI the beeps would indicate base 64k RAM failure. I don't understand why the motherboard doesn't boot with the SIPP memory (the memory itself is known good; I used 3 different sets of sticks too). There are no jumpers to change from DIP memory to SIPP memory. http://www.lejabeach.com/Biostar/MB-12Series/ … -1212Csipp.html

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 7, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while ago I received a 286 board (Essex Electric) that wouldn't boot. Searched the net and found a thread on vcfed. There were some pictures, and based on that I noticed that the SIPPs on mine were installed backwards. There was no notch or any other marking of pin 1 on the motherboard. I see your slots have a notch for pin 1, but maybe worth checking with a multimeter if that's the true orientation.
My board worked right away after flipping the modules, so I guess the pinout is really that fault-tolerant 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had thought about that too, the 30pin SIMM/SIPP does tolerate being inserted the wrong way without dying (Vcc and GND are mirrored in the pinout)
http://pinouts.ru/Memory/Simm30_pinout.shtml . The motherboard does have pins 1 and 30 marked near the SIPP. I also found pictures on the net of this morherboard with memory modules inserted showing the same orientation of the modules.

I also did a test where I inserted the modules backwards on purpose; it didn't make a difference. The RAM still works fine after that (tested in another SIPP motherboard), and the Biostar motherboard also works as before but still boots only with DIP memory, not with SIPP memory.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FWIW I have found a partial solution. It was a composite of several issues:
1. Some of the memory cards I was using I had a poor understanding of the switch setting (due to the manual being poorly written)
2. This motherboard requires parity enabled both on the motherboard and the extended memory cards in order to recognize RAM on them. I had initially parity switched off in the BIOS, but after I switched it on I started making progress.

One problem remains: It still doesn't work with SIPP memory. Even with parity switched on (and of course using parity modules) it still won't boot. It only boots if the DIP sockets are populated, and the SIPP sockets are not.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 7, by vann5176

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi stamasd,

I got you covered. I just got this board the other day. I have the BIOS like the one pictured in the link, but mine is only version 125D. I would love to get my hands on that newer one.

FWIW, I am running the board exactly as you are describing. It came with 1MB onboard that I removed and replaced it with 4MB of SIMMs. Actually, my board is the SIPP version, but I replaced the SIPP sockets with double SIMM sockets and it is working just fine.

Attachments

• Filename
    MB-1212C.zip
    File size
    36.91 KiB
    Downloads
    75 downloads
    File comment
    Biostar MB-1212C CHIPS SCAT BIOS Version 125D
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 7, by Iano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a couple of these boards with the newer BIOS versions 127D3 and 129D3. I was going to add them to the 286 bios image collection once my TL866 programmer arrives. I'm not sure how accurate or reliable the NSSI dump is but if you want those in the mean time... I'm not sure I can post attachments or images yet. I'm a new user. I'll give it a try later.