Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,
I am running Win98SE on a DELL Dimension XPS 750r with the following specs

ATI Rage 128 Pro 32MB AGP
Sound Blaster 16 CT2910
512MB RAM

Here is the issue:

When I install and attempt to play a DOS game, I simply have no mouse control, even though I have installed the Phil's Computer LAB's MS-DOS Mode Super Easy, I even tried the built-in Win98SE's boot into DOS mode, with no luck.

My mouse is working inside Windows obviously, it is a two-button (with a wheel) Logitech laser mouse.

any idea why?

Thanks

p.s. I just got back into the vintage/retro DOS/WinX gaming world! I just this DELL desktop and a 17" Sony CRT, absolutely love it!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 2 of 11, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote:

I'm not familiar with Phil's tools but my guess would be that you need to load a mouse driver in DOS.

Thanks for the response, yes, I am aware of that, and that is *exactly* what his tool does. I am baffled.

Here is link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f52bZzWs-u4

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 5 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure he knows how to do that. People who know their way around DOS typically do not install Phil's "MS-DOS Mode Super Easy". 😁

In any case - why not just play the DOS game from inside Windows? Most games run just fine this way (on modern PCs, often better than in pure DOS), and you will obviously have a mouse driver.

And yes, if that mouse is USB, it will generally not work under DOS.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 11, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if its a ps2 mouse get the drivers and install info here

https://www.bootdisk.com/readme.htm
(about half way down the page)

if its usb prob won't work in dos, I tried a usb mouse with a ps2 converter in dos using cutemouse which is supposed to support that but didn't work.

Ended up getting a ps2 mouse and the standard mouse.com and works easy like that

Reply 7 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote:

if its usb prob won't work in dos, I tried a usb mouse with a ps2 converter in dos using cutemouse which is supposed to support that but didn't work.

It supports it only if the mouse itself supports it. USB and PS/2 are not pin-compatible; to work with a passive adapter, a mouse has to support both modes (some do, many of the newer ones don't).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware questions in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 11, by redjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've gone back in time and I'm trying to get the early version of Win98 up and running on an era appropriate laptop. The issue I'm having is that after Win98 installs and boots into Windows. I cannot get the mouse (PS/2) to respond right. At the slightest touch the mouse pointer start zipping around the screen and opening folders, files and is totally uncontrollably. If I unplug the mouse and plug it back in it may or may not correct the problem. I've tried changing the mouse with no difference. This is behavior I've never seen before hence posting here.

Is there a universal mouse driver for Win98 that will work and correct this problem? Anyone here had a similar experience?

Reply 11 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you need to set DPI lower or turn off acceleration in the DOS driver. However, hot plugging PS/2 hardware is not a good idea, it's not meant for it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.