VOGONS

First post, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To make the long story short, I need to make my new 486 build recognizing HDDs larger than 540MB, and I decided to give XT-IDE ROM / NIC combination a go.

I have an eprom programmer and necessary software, though I'm quite new about the whole subject.

I read around a lot about what to do and how to do it, and gain same information too, but it is not complete and sometime even contradictory. I need more like an "idiots guide to flasing XT IDE BIOS for 3com NICs" 😊

I decided to use the ROM image compiled for At/386 machines and the one with a boot menu. This means I need at least a 16KB EPROM but I really want to do it with an EEPROM

So the questions are:

- What kind of EEPROM should I use with the 3com 3C509B COMBO NIC that I have (I have no problem about using its configuration software, setting up ROM adresses, etc.) or should I stick to the EPROMs? I have CAT28C256P-20 EEPROMs and NMC27CP128Q EPROMs

- What is this "adjusting the parity bit" thing that people are mentioning about to succesfully flashing the ROM?

- Should I really burn multiple copies of the image to the EPROM/EEPROM till to fill it?

- What else should I take into consideration?

Please note that this will be my first use of that eprom programmer, so don't hesitate to tell me about it like you would tell it to an idiot 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 1 of 13, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a) Your CAT28C256P ROMs should work.

b) I program my XT-IDE eeproms using the configuration program which takes care of this. I wouldn't burn multiple copies of the ROM to the chip, but make sure the rest of the chip is blank so ROM-BIOS doesn't detect multiple BIOS signatures.

Reply 2 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:

a) Your CAT28C256P ROMs should work.

b) I program my XT-IDE eeproms using the configuration program which takes care of this. I wouldn't burn multiple copies of the ROM to the chip, but make sure the rest of the chip is blank so ROM-BIOS doesn't detect multiple BIOS signatures.

Thanks a lot! 🤣

Configuration program can burn an eeprom while it is on the NIC?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 3 of 13, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made two ROM chips for my 3Com network card, and I didn't realize that using a bigger EEPROM with the copy of the code can make it go slower at boot times when restarting. Fortunately, I have a couple of 8KB EEPROMs as well (going to edit the BIN file to use it for only the primary IDE channel for faster load times).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 4 of 13, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firstly, make sure you configure the XTIDE BIOS image to your desired requirements using the "xtidecfg" utility, if you haven't already. Do this either in DOS, a 32-bit version of Windows or DOSBox.

I'd definitely recommend using an EEPROM until you are a bit more versed in setting this all up, as having to use a UV Eraser on an old EPROM every time you make a mistake gets a little tiresome.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the "large" menu-driven versions of XTIDE, which are 12KB in size. I just use the regular 8KB versions without a menu, these are sufficient for my needs and still give you the option to use shortcut keys to boot different devices or access virtual disk images via COM port at boot.

I'll post what I did to get the 8KB ROM working with my 3C509B though, in case it helps -

I'm using 256kb/32KB EEPROMs and they work fine in the 3C509B. As the XTIDE BIOS is 8KB in size, I copied it 4 times to fill the 32KB chip. Done easily with the command:

copy /b ROMNAME.BIN+ROMNAME.BIN+ROMNAME.BIN+ROMNAME.BIN NEWROMNAME.BIN

The 3C509B is relatively straightforward to setup. Using the "3C5X9CFG" utility, I enabled the Boot ROM and set the starting address at D000 and size at 32Kb.

Reply 5 of 13, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*scratches head* why didn't I think of that for making one 32KB ROM instead of using the MiniPro program copying every byte of data?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6 of 13, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

*scratches head* why didn't I think of that for making one 32KB ROM instead of using the MiniPro program copying every byte of data?

Lol I too did the same thing the first time I tried flashing an EPROM.

I then stumbled across a mention online of the copy /b command and it makes the process so much easier.

Reply 7 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:
Firstly, make sure you configure the XTIDE BIOS image to your desired requirements using the "xtidecfg" utility, if you haven't […]
Show full quote

Firstly, make sure you configure the XTIDE BIOS image to your desired requirements using the "xtidecfg" utility, if you haven't already. Do this either in DOS, a 32-bit version of Windows or DOSBox.

I'd definitely recommend using an EEPROM until you are a bit more versed in setting this all up, as having to use a UV Eraser on an old EPROM every time you make a mistake gets a little tiresome.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the "large" menu-driven versions of XTIDE, which are 12KB in size. I just use the regular 8KB versions without a menu, these are sufficient for my needs and still give you the option to use shortcut keys to boot different devices or access virtual disk images via COM port at boot.

I'll post what I did to get the 8KB ROM working with my 3C509B though, in case it helps -

I'm using 256kb/32KB EEPROMs and they work fine in the 3C509B. As the XTIDE BIOS is 8KB in size, I copied it 4 times to fill the 32KB chip. Done easily with the command:

The 3C509B is relatively straightforward to setup. Using the "3C5X9CFG" utility, I enabled the Boot ROM and set the starting address at D000 and size at 32Kb.

Thank you very much for detailed instructions. I'll try first the 8KB version then, and if it works, will try to use the 12KB version.

One more question:

Is XTIDE config program can burn an EEPROM while it is on a 3c509?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 8 of 13, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

Thank you very much for detailed instructions. I'll try first the 8KB version then, and if it works, will try to use the 12KB version.

One more question:

Is XTIDE config program can burn an EEPROM while it is on a 3c509?

No it won't. You'll only be able to save the ROM image and then you'll have to use an EPROM programmer to burn the image.

What it can do however, is read the ROM from a 3C509B. So you can load your current ROM settings straight from the EEPROM and then tweak them and save a new image file.

Reply 9 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, the results:

AMD AM27C64: 8KB BIOS version works perfectly

ST M27C128A and M27128AFI: 12KB BIOS works perfectly (Choosing M27128A from programmer's list for both)

CSI CAT28C256: Both 8KB and 12 KB versions does not work. Copying 4 instances of 8KB version don't work either. 3c509 gives error messages about this ROM chip. Probably not pin compatible with what 3c509 NIC supports.

NMC27CP128Q: Same as above, nothing works, NIC gives error. Not even in the programmer's list, you can only program it by disabling ID check.

(*) Programmer is a MiniPro TL866CS

Now, here comes the questions:

PTherapist wrote:
...I'm using 256kb/32KB EEPROMs and they work fine in the 3C509B. As the XTIDE BIOS is 8KB in size, I copied it 4 times to fill […]
Show full quote

...I'm using 256kb/32KB EEPROMs and they work fine in the 3C509B. As the XTIDE BIOS is 8KB in size, I copied it 4 times to fill the 32KB chip. Done easily with the command:

- Could you please specify, which 256kb/32KB EEPROMs you are using that can work with 3c509?

- How can I turn 12KB XT-IDE version to 16KB, so I can use multiple copies trick (assuming 16+16 for 32KB EEPROM)?

- Does XT-IDE supports CD-ROMs?

As far as I can see, it cannot detect them and it also does not allow the CD-ROM device driver detect them later during the boot up (via Config.sys). Is this normal, or am doing something wrong? At the moment my CD-ROM is connected to SB IDE interface, this is the only way it works. if I connect it to the normal controller driven by XT-IDE (second channel), it refuses to work.

- One last question: I'm using this, a SIIG SC-JE4012 "Enhanced IDE" controller (below), which has actually its own BIOS on board, but can only supports drives up to 8GB, which is not ok for my PC. Just an idea, but what happens if I remove its original BIOS and put the XT-IDE ROM in its socket instead of a NIC?

siig-fast-eide-controller-16-bit-isa_1_2c8c8557e3325549502cbc491de5feff.jpg
Filename
File size
590.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by tayyare on 2021-05-15, 22:41. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 10 of 13, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
- Could you please specify, which 256kb/32KB EEPROMs you are using that can work with 3c509? […]
Show full quote

- Could you please specify, which 256kb/32KB EEPROMs you are using that can work with 3c509?

- How can I turn 12KB XT-IDE version to 16KB, so I can use multiple copies trick (assuming 16+16 for 32KB EEPROM)?

- Does XT-IDE supports CD-ROMs?

As far as I can see, it cannot detect them and it also does not allow the CD-ROM device driver detect them later during the boot up (via Config.sys). Is this normal, or am doing something wrong? At the moment my CD-ROM is connected to SB IDE interface, this is the only way it works. if I connect it to the normal controller driven by XT-IDE (second channel), it refuses to work.

- One last question: I'm using this, a SIIG SC-JE4012 "Enhanced IDE" controller (below), which has actually its own BIOS on board, but can only supports drives up to 8GB, which is not ok for my PC. Just an idea, but what happens if I remove its original BIOS and put the XT-IDE ROM in its socket instead of a NIC?

I've used these (Atmel AT28C256-15PU):
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Microc … %2FlNw9oA%3D%3D

But I've also tried successfully with these also: (Winbond W27C512-45Z)
https://octopart.com/w27c512-45z-winbond-590242

I have no experience with the 12KB ROM, only the 8KB ROM which I copy /b as many times as needed to fill the required EEPROM.

Not sure what issues you're having with the CD-ROM, but I run XTIDE on my 486 (onboard ATA though, not an addon card) and my CD-ROM still functions correctly. Does the CD-ROM work normally on the secondary channel if XTIDE is not used?

As to the last question, try it and see is all I can suggest. The worst that can happen is that XTIDE simply won't be able to detect the controller.

Reply 12 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andromeda wrote on 2021-04-20, 17:03:

for me, AT28c256 not work, but AM27C256 work well,
I do not know why.

as I said on your post, those two chips are not completely pin compatible.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port