VOGONS

First post, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

D91dhkY.png

Right now this 486 is hosting the PC-FX and 3DO consoles via the PC-FX/GA and 3DO Blaster ISA boards. The PC-FX requires composite out and is running on the monitor on the left. It came with an SDK and also runs released games. You can see the 3DO is also active in Windows 3.11 on the right. I am trying to find the CD-I ISA card below to complete the trifecta of weird consumer console boards. I am sure it is unobtanium. 😀

cdi_pc_2.0_board-1.jpg

There's an interesting article about these boards here:
https://www.pcmag.com/feature/352654/the-stra … omputer-hybrids

Reply 1 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I highly approve of this. Never knew they made a "CD-i Blaster." Hope you can track one down!

Makes me wonder about the possibility of a PSX or Saturn on an ISA prototyping board... THAT would be cool.

PSA: as far as I know the 3DO Blaster system BIOS has never been dumped & made available for emulation. It seems most of these cards are shelf ornaments owned by "collectors" rather than people who actually stuff them in a machine and use them. If you're able to make an image of it, there are a bunch of us in the 3DO community who'd be highly appreciative. 😀

Really cool project!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 5, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm planning on connecting my Saturn devkit, but sadly it's external.

Right now I'm on the hunt for GMAKER for PC-FX.
> edit: got ahold of it

Last edited by furan on 2018-10-12, 20:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 5, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is an i2m pci card which according to the scarce info available does that same thing and might be easier to find. But it's PCI and it's not consumer oriented. And a system with PC-FX/GA and 3DO Blaster ISA boards? Totally rad!

YouTube

Reply 4 of 5, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I highly approve of this. Never knew they made a "CD-i Blaster." Hope you can track one down!

Makes me wonder about the possibility of a PSX on an ISA prototyping board... THAT would be cool.

There's the DTL-H2000 for that, though you'll need at least 2 ISA slots, and preferably a third one for CD emulation.
Also it uses an external CD drive, if you prefer an internal drive the 2700 is the better one, but more rare and expensive.
You can also go with the 2500, but it's a PCI card.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 5 of 5, by AndrewK2685

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice build & interesting posts everyone.
I'm also in look for CD-i/PC, but I doubt these made it on the market.
Will keep looking if sth comes up.

Also, may I suggest another addition to your system?
An Amstrad Mega PC Sega Genesis ISA card - it will need some hack with the case
and to determine & connect the video signals, but it's do-able (I did it on mine, similar to yours long ago).

Other hybrids I know are the Diamond Trackstar line, the Opus Sparcard line and PTC MSX ISA card.
These are not consoles though.