VOGONS

First post, by Snowpix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i have been browsing through my father's old computers and cards and found this thing. If anyone has any idea what it might be, please let me know.

I am also very new to retro computers, so if this is something common, be gentle with me 😊

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some kind of I/O card, maybe SCSI?
What does it say? "MUXA CARD"?
There is a BIOS on it. Does it display a message when inserted in a PC? If not, you can extract its content and see whats inside...

Reply 2 of 10, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a Moxa C216. The company is still in business, you might want to check with them for specs (they even seem to still sell ISA cards: https://www.moxa.com/product/MSB_ISA.htm )

The "Cxxx" model number is consistent with their line, but all their serial cards are C1xx.

I don't know the specs, I think this is a discontinued model. Most of their current boards are multiport serial and industrial, they might have done drive cards previously, it does kind of look like a SCSI connector.

I would definitely shoot them an e-mail and ask if someone has documentation or specs available (or even drivers).

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 3 of 10, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think those Zilog chips are serial port controllers (can't read the model number too well on my phone). This is probably a multi-serial port card. The connector is where one of those "octopus" pigtail connectors would attach, and the card is pretty much useless without it.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 10, by Snowpix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stamasd wrote:
It's a Moxa C216. The company is still in business, you might want to check with them for specs (they even seem to still sell IS […]
Show full quote

It's a Moxa C216. The company is still in business, you might want to check with them for specs (they even seem to still sell ISA cards: https://www.moxa.com/product/MSB_ISA.htm )

The "Cxxx" model number is consistent with their line, but all their serial cards are C1xx.

I don't know the specs, I think this is a discontinued model. Most of their current boards are multiport serial and industrial, they might have done drive cards previously, it does kind of look like a SCSI connector.

I would definitely shoot them an e-mail and ask if someone has documentation or specs available (or even drivers).

Ah you're right. It is indeed MOXA C216. Will send them an e-mail today. Thank you!

stamasd wrote:

I think those Zilog chips are serial port controllers (can't read the model number too well on my phone). This is probably a multi-serial port card. The connector is where one of those "octopus" pigtail connectors would attach, and the card is pretty much useless without it.

There are Zilog chips on it yes. The model number is Z0853006PSC. What are the connectors that would attach to it?

Reply 5 of 10, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snowpix wrote:

The model number is Z0853006PSC.

Yes that is a serial port controller, 2-channel each so with 8 chips that card can potentially provide 16 serial ports.

Snowpix wrote:

What are the connectors that would attach to it?

Something that looks similar to this. Thus the nickname "octopus" 😀
Most of the times they are specific for the particular card, there is no standard on how these are wired.

PEX8S1052.E.jpg

Last edited by stamasd on 2018-10-13, 12:30. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10 of 10, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snowpix wrote:

Will do.

The price for this card on ebay is 1200 😮

What do you guys think is the legit price I could get for this? As far as I know it was never used.

You could try an auction, but I'd bet you wouldn't get more than a few dollars, given that it's missing parts (the serial ports), you don't know it's working, and you aren't even totally sure what it is.

Look at "sold" prices on eBay.

There's a Power Computing Mac clone up for $1500 right now. I'm sure it won't sell at that. If it does, every one in the county *including mine* will be up five minutes later. 😀

Asking prices are often unrealistic.

*Too* *many* *things*!