VOGONS

First post, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi good people,

I'm working on 2 projects with my new GF as she likes console games, and older games and also likes putting things together. She's fairly good at doing documentation and research, so that takes a load off me a bit whilst I focus on the tech side of it.

I have a GA-6VA in my garage I dug out with what appears to be an AGP 3dFx 2/3000 (won't know til I boot it up I used the part ID web page to find it)
Appears to have 3x DIMM Slots filled 1x 128mb , 1x 32mb and another ???? (nothing googles up)

Question about this one ;

Celeron 366 CPU on slot 1 > GA-7VA Socket 370 adapter. What's the highest CPU this board will take from experience?
http://download1.gigabyte.us/Files/Manual/mot … _6va_3001_e.pdf shows up to 633Mhz but can it take higher ?
I want this to be my Dos / allround w98se Box

the AA8XE is taking care of the XP 199x - 200x era gaming with a P4 660, which we will AIO WC and OC with a nice overkill graphics card works in XP as well. It will also run Lakka OS for console gaming (thanks to GF finding this! As she wants to do this)

Also - what would sweet spot for RAM be? I am thinking 256MB is enough for most games around that era? want to cover XT-486 and some pentium era dos games - all the classics plus some W98 basic gaming happy to do 512mb I see absolutely no need for 1gb ram.

One more thing ;
The GA-6VA has an ATX connector. But.....naturally it's not an ATX Backplate style board...... it would be nice to fit this into a newer case - where to even begin......Will the PCI / ISA slots line up ok? Any issues?