VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an external USB floppy drive that im trying to test floppy disks for bad clusters on my Windows 10 PC but when I use CMD window to run CHKDSK I get:

The type of the file system is FAT.
The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

1,457,664 bytes total disk space.
512 bytes in 1 hidden files.
512 bytes in 1 files.
1,456,640 bytes available on disk.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.
2,847 total allocation units on disk.
2,845 allocation units available on disk.

and when I try to run CHKDSK with the /R command I get:

Cannot lock current drive.

the above happens if I use the /X and /R at the same time, I have no other programs open using the floppy drive and I know this drive is ok as I have used it before for testing disks but its just this time now its decided to say "Cannot lock current drive".

Reply 2 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Windows 10 PC

Windows 10 had issues with (real) floppy drives from the very beginning.
It's a wonder it (sort of) works at all. Not kidding. 😐

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 10, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had no trouble using USB floppy drives on Windows 10 whatsoever, including running chkdsk. There's just a few things you need to keep in mind.

You need to be running Command Prompt as administrator (Start, tyoe "cmd", then RIGHT-CLICK on it and do "Run as administrator"). This should allow you to do "chkdsk a: /r". It should ask you if you want to force dismount the volume. Select "Yes" and it should do the scan.

Reply 4 of 10, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the ideas to try but I found out that you cant run chkdsk /r in the root of A: as it says:

but if you are anywhere else eg. C:\users\Name and run chkdsk A: /R it works fine, its strange for Windows 10 to be like this

Reply 5 of 10, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, yeah that is true, and it slipped my mind entirely because I had gotten used to not switching to a: in the command prompt before running chkdsk for this very reason. This has actually been the case since at least Vista, possibly even XP. This limitation applies for all drives, not just removable drives (and of course system drives also require a reboot to do the scan).

Reply 9 of 10, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GabrielKnight123 wrote:
I tried chkdsk /x AlaricD and it only says: […]
Show full quote

I tried chkdsk /x AlaricD and it only says:

I even tried with run as administrator.

Odd, it usually would ask if you want to force a dismount and then continue. Maybe a floppy is an exception to that, due to filesystem or something. Does it not also say anything like:
"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" (Although it may not if it determines that the drive won't be available that early in the boot sequence)

I'll have to break out my external floppy drive and mess with it.

Reply 10 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It makes total sense to me why it won't let you dismount a drive that you are currently trying to run something from even though chkdsk isn't really on A:.

If you dismount it, it kills the handle to it and if it let it do that then the command prompt would probably freak out and either close or just not run chkdsk anyway.

In the command prompt, after something finishes, it is going to try to return to the same path you were in before you ran the program. If the drive that you were in gets dismounted, it is not going to be able to return to it.

Just don't run it from the A: prompt and it will work fine every time.

Now I feel like I want to run something while at the A: prompt, then unplug the USB cable to the drive and see what happens when it finishes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK